Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware

Post subject: Simultaneous disk and motherboard failures
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:17 pm 

I just had a motherboard die on me and bought a replacement.

When I'd installed it, I Attached two SATA drives and tried to install Ubuntu. During boot, I got messages to the effect that comreset had failed, first for ATA1, then for ATA2. The boot process carried on (into a Ubuntu liveCD), but the hard drives were not seen.

I tried various combinations of drives and SATA ports, including two more HDDs, but no luck. In fact now, the LiveCD session offers me only one screen resolution (1024 x 768) which is wildly wrong for the 23 inch widescreen monitor.

Worse, two drives are now dead. One just clicks incessantly, the other clicks for a while then just stops spinning (these in an external caddy attached to a different PC).

I've never had so many components fail at the same time, and I'm struggling to work out what happened. Did the new motherboard take out the disks? Did failing disks cause the ATA errors?

The bottom line is that my main data disk and one of my three backups died at the same time. I'm now paranoid about connecting the other two backups to any computer until I'm ready to copy their contents. All four disks are Samsung Spinpoint 1tb models bought around the same time. Three of them have spent hardly any time powered up since they were just backups. I read somewhere online that SATA disks are prone to suddenly failing - are PATA disks safer?

Should I RMA the motherboard? I'm very wary of attaching another disk to it!

Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance...

Mike

Post subject: Re: Simultaneous disk and motherboard failures
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:58 pm 
Site Admin

I suspect the power supply far more than the motherboard in this case. I've seen a failing power supply take out virtually every component in a system and power supplies are by far the most failure prone component in a PC.

But first the most important thing to take care of are your backups. You should only connect the remaining backups to a known good system where you can make another copy (maybe two). No drive is safe, multiple backups should always be maintained.

Back to the failing system. The motherboard may in fact be OK as a failing power supply and/or drives can make a motherboard seem to be bad. I would test the motherboard using a known-good power supply and drives. Once you figure out what components are good, you can order the rest to build a complete system. Let me know how things turn out. Scott.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:52 pm 

Thank you Scott,

I'll do as you suggest and let you know the outcome.

I never thought about the power supply. I always buy decent ones (this is a Seasonic Bronze 520w), so I suppose I lulled myself into a false sense of security on that score...

Could a PSU issue really explain the fact that, with no HDDs attached, the board offers only one screen resolution though (onboard graphics, no add-in card), whereas it had previously, albeit briefly, offered the correct resolution for the attached monitor?

Regards,

Mike

Post Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:03 pm 
Site Admin

mike29 wrote:
Could a PSU issue really explain the fact that, with no HDDs attached, the board offers only one screen resolution though (onboard graphics, no add-in card), whereas it had previously, albeit briefly, offered the correct resolution for the attached monitor?

That sounds like an issue with the available drivers, however the MB seems to be working to even be at that point. Scott.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:47 pm 

Hello Scott,

I tested the board with a power supply which is known good (as far as I can know), and nothing seemed different. Problem is I didn't dare connect a hard drive to it in case it's the board that's killing them, rather than the PSU (is that even possible?) So the results weren't conclusive. I haven't got a drive I'm willing to risk, at least until I've made a couple more backups of my data.

Things get a bit stranger though. I've realised that if I boot Ubuntu 14.04 from a livecd, I get a range of screen resolutions whereas if I boot the exact same OS (and version) from a liveusb I just get 1024 x 768), which suggests to me that it isn't a driver issue - just as well since I can find no drivers for Linux...

Also, the new board won't boot from a livedvd (Xubuntu 16.04), whilst our old laptop will.

It's getting so I don't know what to eliminate first. The only thing I am sure of is that I need to secure my data urgently on another PC, which will take a little time, given the amount of it.

I suppose I have to do that, then risk connecting a drive or two with the 'known good' PSU.

M

Post Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:10 pm 

Hello Scott,

Thank you. Your suspicions about the power supply were well founded. I've now tested the old motherboard with a different power supply and it's much more stable. It used to take reboots to get it to connect wirelessly (I suspected the wi-fi card). Now it connects effortlessly.

A bit of research on power supplies has led me to realise that the Bronze.....Platinum ratings cannot necessarily be relied on, and neither can the name on the label.

I'm thinking of buying this PSU. https://www.ebuyer.com/782057-corsair-6 ... 9020132-uk Would you consider it adequate?

I'll also buy a couple of these https://www.ebuyer.com/753785-wd-gold-d ... wd1005fbyz to add to my two surviving backup drives.

Thanks for your help...

Mike

By the way, is it even possible for a faulty motherboard to kill a hard drive,assuming the PSU is good?

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware