Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware

Post subject: coin battery
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:07 pm 

I have a hp laptop computer that I has a remote control and I test the old battery with a volt meter and it shows 3.13 volts that the battery that came with the computer about around 2007 and it was in the remote. ok So I trying to use the remote to turn on the computer the old battery did not work in the old remote but when I put in another battery it work why is that. the battery number is CR2016. So why wouldn't the old work in the remote control. My laptop model is DV6000 HP.. And the newer one but its a use one and it only has about 2.98 volts. But why would the old battery power up my watch I just wanted to test it because my watch take the same battery. Have you or anyone else ran into this before............. This is just nuts.... and weird...... I am not going to search this on google just to weird and won't get the right answer. I also clean the inside of the remote control contacts with contact cleaner I also clean the bottom of the old battery with contact cleaner.......

Thanks
this is just plan nuts... got me thinking.

Post subject: Re: coin battery
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:01 pm 

Maybe you just loosened up some dust removing the old battery?. Try putting it back in again and trying it now. Sometimes taking something apart and putting it back together can "magically fix" the problem.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:43 pm 
Site Admin

If the lithium coin cell battery shows over 3V then it is good. Check it with another meter to be sure but if that is the case then the problem lies elsewhere. I just had a garage door opener that wouldn't work, I removed the 2032 coin cell and tested it to read 3.07V, re-installed it and the opener worked fine. I suspect that minor corrosion on the terminals was the problem and simply removing and reinstalling the battery cleaned them up. Scott.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:18 am 

Scott wrote:
If the lithium coin cell battery shows over 3V then it is good. Check it with another meter to be sure but if that is the case then the problem lies elsewhere. I just had a garage door opener that wouldn't work, I removed the 2032 coin cell and tested it to read 3.07V, re-installed it and the opener worked fine. I suspect that minor corrosion on the terminals was the problem and simply removing and reinstalling the battery cleaned them up. Scott.

I did check it with another meter and it show 3.1 volts. But I think maybe that battery just some how got some corrosion on it. and with a new battery it works... but what I don't understand is why the old battery power up my old watch just fine maybe because it touching another part of the battery.

scott I just want to know

Do you like wireless keyboard and wireless mouse.
IF so which brand and models.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:19 am 
Site Admin

The batteries normally have stainless steel casings that don't usually corrode, however it is entirely possible that corrosion built up on the contacts in the battery socket. In that case merely removing and reinstalling the battery wipes the contacts and restores operation. I just "repaired" a garage door opener by removing and reinstalling the coin cell, it measured 3.07V so I knew that the battery was good. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware