Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware

Post subject: GA-H270M-DS3H disabling Parallel and serial ports
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:53 pm 

Scott, I have disabled the Parallel and serial ports via the cmos setup on This board. However now in the device manager it shows an error with the "Communications Port (Com1)", "Device cannot start (code 10)".

Of course it can't start!. I disabled it!. So what's the problem here Scott?. Why is it telling me it can't start?. Shouldn't it just not say anything if it is disabled in the cmos or UEFI bios?

Post subject: Re: GA-H270M-DS3H disabling Parallel and serial ports
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:31 pm 

Another question I have related to the cmos or uefi bios.

Two settings: "DVMT Pre-Allocated:Allows you to set the onboard graphics memory size. Options are: 32M-1024M.(Default: 32M)"

"DVMT Total Gfx Mem:Allows you to allocate the DVMT memory size of the onboard graphics. Options are: 128M, 256M, Max. (Default: 256M)

What do you think I should set these at?. I do have 64GB of Ram installed in this motherboard.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:32 pm 

FatGuy wrote:
Scott, I have disabled the Parallel and serial ports via the cmos setup on This board. However now in the device manager it shows an error with the "Communications Port (Com1)", "Device cannot start (code 10)".

Of course it can't start!. I disabled it!. So what's the problem here Scott?. Why is it telling me it can't start?. Shouldn't it just not say anything if it is disabled in the cmos or UEFI bios?

Ok Scott, on this I tried going in and enabling it, restarting, checking the device manager to see if things were ok. Then I restarted again and went into the UEFI and disabled it again. Now it's working as it should, it didn't show up.

Strange though. I had recently flashed the bios though, so I don't know if that had anything to do with the way this happened or anything.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:32 pm 

FatGuy wrote:
Another question I have related to the cmos or uefi bios.

Two settings: "DVMT Pre-Allocated:Allows you to set the onboard graphics memory size. Options are: 32M-1024M.(Default: 32M)"

"DVMT Total Gfx Mem:Allows you to allocate the DVMT memory size of the onboard graphics. Options are: 128M, 256M, Max. (Default: 256M)

What do you think I should set these at?. I do have 64GB of Ram installed in this motherboard.

Still wondering your advice on this.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:43 pm 

Arghhh!. It's still showing in device manager, but there is no error listed now. Shouldn't it be gone from device manager since it's disabled?.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:45 pm 

I'm just gonna go back in and put both the Serial Port and Parallel port in the default-enabled.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:33 pm 
Site Admin

Disabling the ports should make them disappear from the Device Manager, however that depends on how Windows is configured as well as how the disabling is implemented by the motherboard. If the behavior changed after a BIOS update then most likely the update changed how the board handled disabling the ports.

I would not recommend changing DVMT settings from defaults unless required by some application. Scott.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:29 pm 

Thanks for your reply Scott. I think I'm just gonna leave well enough alone for now and just leave the serial and parallel ports enabled. I'll leave the DVMT settings at default also.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware