Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware

Post subject: UPS brand
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:44 pm 

Scott, my old Belkin UPS is having problems with cable. I mentioned it before on here. The socket or plug on the back of the UPS is loose or something so I have to unplug and replug it a lot.

Anyway the thing is over 10 years old I'm guessing. So do you have a recommendations on brands?

Post subject: Re: UPS brand
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:54 pm 

I did the survey where it asks you about your equipment on the APC site and it suggested This UPS. However it also put, This in my cart. I don't know why. Don't really want to spend close to $400 on a UPS.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:20 pm 
Site Admin

I would recommend the least expensive UPS offered by either Costco or Sam's Club. That's what I've been using and it has worked out well for me. Scott.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:09 pm 

I talked with an APC rep today and based on my current pc and things connected to it they told me This one. I asked about a smaller one and they said it would be fine as long as my PC didn't draw the full amount of power provided by the PSU while the pc and other items are connected to it. I don't think that ever happens...

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:14 pm 

Found it pretty cheap Here. Not a bad deal.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:23 pm 

That place has some pretty bad reviews. Maybe I'll see if I can get Newegg.com to price match it.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:17 pm 

It was the same price anyway because Provantage didn't offer free shipping. Chatted with customer support for Newegg and they offered me $10 off...

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:50 pm 

This one is much cheaper. What do you think?. I mean as far as my pc drawing the total amount of power the PSU is rated for, that's insane, isn't it?.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:24 pm 

I purchased the cheaper one.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:57 pm 
Site Admin

That's what I would have done. Let me know how it works out. Scott.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:05 pm 

I'll let you know. Also I still got the $10 off.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:58 pm 

Using it now. Seems to work well so far. I had to give up one of my monitors to a surge protector only outlet so I could keep my Cable modem, Gigabit switch, and Dlink router plugged into the surge plus battery backup outlets. The USB connection is kind of strange because the part that plugs into the back of the UPS looks like an RJ45 connector and the other side is a normal USB Type A connector.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:06 pm 

I will be putting this APC UPS on my wifes old PC and getting a different one for myself. APC hasn't updated their PowerChute UPS software since 2012. That tells me how much they care about it. Usually I'll check this sort of thing because I don't like using companies that don't update their software regularly. The APC software won't install on Windows 10 without downloading and installing an old outdated version(2.0) out the .Net framework. I'm not doing that. The point is, if they haven't bothered to update their software since 2012 then they really couldn't care less about the customers.

I've checked out Cyberpower and have The CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD in my Amazon favorites. I have a bit of credit in my Amazon account so I can use it towards that. I checked out their software and they just updated it last month. My wife needs an updated UPS anyway so she can have the APC. She loves her old Windows 7 pc anyway.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:00 pm 

FatGuy wrote:
Using it now. Seems to work well so far. I had to give up one of my monitors to a surge protector only outlet so I could keep my Cable modem, Gigabit switch, and Dlink router plugged into the surge plus battery backup outlets. The USB connection is kind of strange because the part that plugs into the back of the UPS looks like an RJ45 connector and the other side is a normal USB Type A connector.

Fixing this problem with this item that I have ordered.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:06 pm 

FatGuy wrote:
I will be putting this APC UPS on my wifes old PC and getting a different one for myself. APC hasn't updated their PowerChute UPS software since 2012. That tells me how much they care about it. Usually I'll check this sort of thing because I don't like using companies that don't update their software regularly. The APC software won't install on Windows 10 without downloading and installing an old outdated version(2.0) out the .Net framework. I'm not doing that. The point is, if they haven't bothered to update their software since 2012 then they really couldn't care less about the customers.

I've checked out Cyberpower and have The CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD in my Amazon favorites. I have a bit of credit in my Amazon account so I can use it towards that. I checked out their software and they just updated it last month. My wife needs an updated UPS anyway so she can have the APC. She loves her old Windows 7 pc anyway.

Still have not had the money to order the new UPS. Wish I could get some of the money back for this thing. I mean I could consider it "defective" since I'm not able to get the full features running it without the software on Windows 10. Hey, if I spend over $100 on a UPS you better believe that I want all the features available and software that's updated regularly. In my opinion that's not unreasonable.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:12 pm 

Well I did get the CyberPower UPS a while back and moved the APC to my wifes old PC. I installed the software but found out it disables windows power management, so I disabled it. So APC software is really garbage. The Cyberpower software works fine with Windows but has a pretty small bug. Cyberpower is a much better company though and I've talked with their support and they are actively working on the issue. They do keep their software up to date, unlike APC. Currently I'm just using windows to manage the ups and everything is fine. I won't purchase another APC though. When I get another UPS it's going to be a Cyberpower.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:05 pm 

The small but annoying bug in Cyperpower Personal edition software has really gotten to me. A few weeks back they released a new version of the software but it didn't fix the problem. I seem to remember around 12 years ago when I had the Belkin UPS, their software "Belkin Bulldog" had problems also. It seems that all ups software from manufacturers has problems that the companies really don't put much effort into fixing. Cyberpower is at least trying though so I'll give them that. APC is a joke in that regard. I don't think I'll even bother with the software for a UPS anymore. There really doesn't seem to be much benefit to using it anyway.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware