Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware

Post subject: Certain POST audio error code for HP mp8200 PC
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:19 pm 

Scott, I've been trying to install a SSD in the HP SignagePlayer mp8200 PC that my parents usually use. However, not only is the screen blank, but I generally hear five long beeps, then a pause, then five long beeps again. The same basic situation occurred even after I took out the memory modules and even after I put the PC's traditional HDD back in. Sadly, I don't know what kind of BIOS the PC uses. Scott, could you or some other member of this forum help me out here? Is this page helpful?

Post subject: Re: Certain POST audio error code for HP mp8200 PC
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:08 pm 

You need to find out the manufacture or model number of the motherboard to find out the beep codes. I also googled and someone on a HP support forum said it's either a motherboard problem or a ram. Try removing one module at a time and restarting. Maybe reseating the ram would help. I'm just guessing by what I've read from google searches though.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:23 pm 

I did find a replacement motherboard for it....

http://cybersgeek.com/HP-611835-001-Int ... otherboard

Post Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:25 pm 
Site Admin

If you put the PC back to the original configuration it was in before the error occurred and yet the error still occurs then one or more of the original components has either failed or has not been properly reinstalled. I would first insure that everything is properly installed in the pre-error configuration and if that didn't help then I would begin removing and replacing components with known-good spares until the error no longer occurred. If you do that let me know what the problem turned out to be. Scott.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:11 am 

I have apparently solved the five-long-beeps problem by reseating the memory modules. (Remember this thread?). To be honest, I can't say that I didn't switch the modules. The traditional HDD is currently back in the system. According to instructions that came with the SSD drive, I'm apparently supposed to initially keep the old drive installed internally and attach the new drive externally with a dock or something. However, the traditional HDD has a Windows Vista Home Premium installation. I want to install Windows 7 Professional on my Samsung SSD 850 EVO.

Last edited by Maxirad on Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:02 am 
Site Admin

Maxirad wrote:
I have apparently solved the five-long-beeps problem by reseating the memory modules. (Remember this thread?)

That points out exactly why systems can be repaired by simply disassembling and reassembling a system. Thanks for letting us know the outcome. Scott.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:22 pm 

FatGuy wrote:
You need to find out the manufacture or model number of the motherboard to find out the beep codes. I also googled and someone on a HP support forum said it's either a motherboard problem or ram. Try removing one module at a time and restarting. Maybe reseating the ram would help. I'm just guessing by what I've read from google searches though.

Maxirad wrote:
I have apparently solved the five-long-beeps problem by reseating the memory modules.

Ahhh, so I was correct!

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware