Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware

Post subject: Samsung 960 EVO or Windows Boot Manager
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:19 pm 

Scott, I recently noticed on my new build after flashing the bios and changing some settings back to where I wanted them that the boot order started with "UEFI boot manager" or something to that effect. I went and changed it to just the name of the SSD. It didn't allow me to boot. I changed it back to the "boot manager" and I was able to boot windows normally again. Scott, could you please give me a link to read or tell me the pages in your current book to read so I can understand what's going on here.

I guess I don't really understand why it has to boot from the "boot manager" and you can't just select the SSD to boot from. Maybe I don't understand UEFI bios or something. I'm a bit confused here.

Post subject: Re: Samsung 960 EVO or Windows Boot Manager
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:37 pm 
Site Admin

You would need to use the UEFI boot if the drive has a modern GPT (GUID Partition Table). Most motherboards will attempt to boot to a GPT first, then a legacy MBR (Master Boot Record) partition table second, however if you disable UEFI boot then it will only look for a legacy formatted drive. You can find more information in the UEFI and BIOS Limitations section of my book (p. 307-309). Scott.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:28 pm 

Thanks Scott!. So then because I have a modern drive and motherboard with UEFI enabled by default I have to use the UEFI loader to boot?. In other words it would be sort of dumb to have it disabled and basically go backward in time to a less useful bios, yes?. By the way just read those pages in your book now.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:31 pm 
Site Admin

FatGuy wrote:
...So then because I have a modern drive and motherboard with UEFI enabled by default I have to use the UEFI loader to boot?. In other words it would be sort of dumb to have it disabled and basically go backward in time to a less useful bios, yes?

Yes indeed. Scott.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:07 pm 

Thanks again for helping me understand things better. You're a great teacher Scott. Can't wait for a new book from you!

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware