Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware

Post subject: Non Gaming Motherboard
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:02 pm 

Ok I'm gonna start looking for parts for a new pc for the wife. I usually start with the motherboard. The use for this pc will be for some work from home use, she works at a call center and uses something called "Singlecomm". It's call center work where she uses a headset to take calls. Otherwise she just plays some online games, similar to facebook games, or some of the same exact games just using different websites besides facebook. She likes to have 2 monitors like I do. So I know you like MSI but I found mostly gaming motherboards there. It would make sense to use a chipset that allows for built in video to allow for two monitors.

I'd like to get something that's very new, or check out a board/boards that are not out yet and I can just build around that and start with a different part.

Post subject: Re: Non Gaming Motherboard
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:24 pm 

This board looks great, however it has realtek for built in audio. That company has a known flaw with their onboard sound which I ran into on my last board. The problem has an easy work around but the problem has been around since 2004 and I really don't want to support a company so lazy as to no address a problem....I could just disable the sound and use a sound card like I did on this board, but if I could find a board with a different company that would be better.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:28 pm 

Looking at that board I really like all the features, or at least they look interesting. This board does actually look like a gaming board though. Still looks great to me though.

Quote:
ESD Protection

ESD (Electrostatic Discharge) is the major factor to destroy PC by electrical overstress(EOS) condition, ESD occurred by PC users when touch any devices connect to PC, which may result in damage to motherboard or parts .ESD protection is designed to protect the motherboard and equipment from damage by EOS

Quote:
Super Anti-Surge Protection

BIOSTAR exclusive Anti-Surge design provides the best protection of board and extends the product life. Having the latest model of "Transient Voltage Suppressor" on- board can effectively protect the board circuit, reducing the shocks caused by ESD as well as other damages arising from overvoltage transients to enhance system durability.

Quote:
OC / OV / OH Protection

All BIOSTAR special circuit design detects overvoltage conditions and prevents voltage surges from spreading in real time. It also actively cuts off the overvoltage supply to protect your system. Over current protection, avoid motherboard from damage when doing overclock or an unusual current import. Over heat protection, avoid motherboard & CPU from burning when exceeding the temperature limitation.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:28 pm 

The LED features I could care less about though.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:07 pm 

Think I would rather get a board with the newer IntelZ370 chipset though. Unless there is something newer coming out very soon.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:26 pm 

Now I'm just browsing.This one looks great. I have a question though. If you look at the board the top pci express x1 slot, I don't think you could put a card in there without the I/O panel getting in the way. If you zoom in, you'll see there is no way you could put anything in that slot.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:41 pm 
Site Admin

I think the slot would be fine, however I've never recommended Biostar boards. Scott.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:33 pm 

So just MSI then?. Or do you still like Gigabyte?. How about Asus? Asus does seem really popular. Any particular reason you don't like Biostar boards? ASrock, MSI, Gigabyte, and Asus seem like the most popular ones on Newegg. ASrock models seem to get really good reviews on Newegg.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:54 pm 
Site Admin

MSI is my first choice. I would still consider GIGABYTE but probably not any of the others you mentioned. Scott.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:54 pm 

I really need to choose something more economical for the wife. Something she can use for work and allows at least 2 monitors to be connected. Any recommendations on motherboards?. Maybe a bit "future proof" too based on my recent experiences!. Really need a recommendation. It's just for playing some online facebook and plinga games. Also she does some work from on it using something called SingleComm and OrderLogix. The multiple monitors of course help her to have better performance while working. So any specific motherboard recommendations?

Post Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:25 pm 

Any recommendations on a quality motherboard for the purposes I've mentioned?.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:35 pm 
Site Admin

Just about any MSI board should fulfill those simple requirements. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware