Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware

Post subject: Hp Pavilion p6210y built in Graphics
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:27 pm 

So my wifes old pc. I had been thinking of using the pci x16 slot since it seems the other ones run at pci express 1.0 speeds. Was going to use a controller card in that slot. However it seems that there is some sort of problem with the built in graphics. I've checked the temperature in Gpu-z and it goes up to 101 C. At that point the rear fan goes on full blast. Doesn't seem to go off for a while when wife is playing plinga games.

So today I took the heatsink off of the built in graphics chip. I cleaned up the chip a bit with Arctic clean and applied some thermal paste. Doesn't seem to help one bit. I tried going to one of those game sites and put on a game. Gpu temp went up little by little and rear fan went on full blast.

So I don't know what to do with it at this point. I guess I could put the old graphics card back in. Doesn't make much sense to me as I had been using 3rd party graphics card for years with this pc. Why would it get so hot, from just one game, and it's not even 3d or anything. Just facebook type flash games.

Post subject: Re: Hp Pavilion p6210y built in Graphics
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:00 pm 
Site Admin

New games, old system, sounds normal to me. If it doesn't lock up or crash then there doesn't seem to be an issue as chips like that are designed to run hot, and running hot isn't the same as overheating. Scott.

Post subject: Re: Hp Pavilion p6210y built in Graphics
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:13 pm 

Well there was also a bit of flickering that I noticed on both monitors. Hard to describe it but it was like you could see something "behind" the screen. Some sort of movement. It's a shame really because the add in card I purchased actually works at pci express v2.0 speeds in the x16 slot on that pc. I put the graphics back in and it actually doesn't sound like a wind tunnel when she plays her games now. So I'll return that card now and use the SSD I purchased for for backups.

I can build the wife an updated pc with the board I received back from Gigabyte. I mean I already have a motherboard and CPU. Just will need Ram, OS, and SSD. Don't think I'll put an optical drive in it but maybe.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware