Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware

Post subject: Reinstall of Windows new MB+Case
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:08 pm 

Got this MSI z370M motherboard. Also this, RAIJINTEK AENEAS case. It seems on the case that the all the LEDs on the LED light bar don't light up. Also having problems with the two usb 2.0 front panel ports.

When plugging in a usb flash drive, it doesn't get recognized or get's recognized and then disappears. I tried to format one and it gave me an "out of memory" error. Tried to shut down with one connected and windows shutdown got a blank screen and the pc wouldn't actually shut down. Just dark screens on the monitors and the power led still lit up.

I did a few backups before I discovered this and went back to one of them. Using Macrium reflect. I was trying to create a usb rescue media boot drive. After unplugging and re-plugging the usb 2.0 header on the motherboard and still having a problem I figured it must be the front panel. The case is still under warranty. Maybe I can just get new top panel and front panel shipped out to me instead or shipping the entire thing back.

What concerns me is the problem with the pc not shutting down completely and makes me think my PC power and Cooling PSU is failing.

Have you still not ever seen a PC Power & Cooling PSU fail Scott?.

Or maybe it's just those ports were messing with it?. I mean I know that port is bad. It has four front panel USB ports two are Usb 2.0. One of those I have the logitech unifying receiver in for my trackball. The one above that was the one I was having problems with.

I've tested both USB 3.0 ports and they seem to work fine. As soon I as plugged the USB flash drive into one of the USB 3.0 ports everything worked fine. The Windows PE environment for Macrium Rescue worked great.

Any suggestions?. This is a brand new fresh clean install of Windows 10 PRO 64bit.

Could the PSU be having problems or are these strange problems, even the not powering down all the way problem, most likely related to the not working correctly front panel usb 2.0 port?.

I mean I could put in my older PC & Power & Cooling PSU, but I think that would be a waste of time at this point. As long as I don't use that port, don't think I'll have any problems. Since one connection handles two usb 2.0 ports on the front panel, shouldn't both ports be causing problems?. Or is that a matter of that fact that the other port has just the Usb logitech receiver for the mouse in it?.

Another question, the motherboard or the case came with a little connection that says "speaker". It has a connection to the motherboard with a black and red wire and the other side has a small round plastic piece on it. I've connected it but it doesn't seem to do anything. Is this one of the old little speakers for the motherboard for beep codes?. Should I leave it on or take it off?. Don't know if that's even useful these days.

Oh I also put this Cooler on the New Cpu. Fan doesn't even have to come on since it's semi-passive.

Please try and answer everything. Thanks for your time Scott.

Post subject: Re: Reinstall of Windows new MB+Case
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:49 pm 
Site Admin

I did finally have a PC Power & Cooling PSU fail, I think it was over 10 years old though but it still was kind of a surprise. A bad PSU can cause all kinds of other problems so that should be replaced first. If the front panel ports still don't work after that then replace the front panel ports with known-good spares from another case and retest. Most motherboards have a built-in beeper (speaker) these days so there is no need for a speaker in the case. Scott.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:56 pm 

I've wrote to support about the case and going to see if I can get replacement front and top panels since it's still practically brand new. Hopefully it won't be a big ordeal where I have to ship the entire case back. I've read a few reviews of the case where other guys have had the same problems where the USB front panel ports don't work correctly and they also have LEDS that are out on the LED bar like myself.

I'll see if I can get an RMA for the PSU but I'm not sure it's bad because the issues have gone away with me staying away from that port. The PSU in question was purchased only last year in March so it's just over 1 year old. Plus it's the "industrial" version. I really don't think the problem is with the PSU. I'm leaning more towards there being wires that have come undone from the front panel ports, so depending on what wires are cut off that could definitely cause those issues. Not sure about the shut down issue though but I have not seen it again in the last few hours.

I'll pull out the PSU tomorrow so i can get the serial number.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:18 am 

I got an RMA approval for the PSU. Now I just have to wait for an email with further instructions from them. Also wrote to Raijintek about the case but have not heard back from them. I've got to say that PC Power & Cooling support is great so far. English is actually their first language and they are very easy to talk to. With my recent experience dealing with Gigabyte support, it's like a dream come true.

Raijintek is a fairly new company and has only been in business since 2013, so hopefully they are easy to deal with. They don't have a Usa phone number though so that's disappointing. So for now it just hurry and wait for them to respond.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:46 pm 

I have to pay to ship it back but received my RMA from PC Power & Cooling. I took a small anti-static bag and duct taped it to the back of the case where the hole for PSU is. Now I've got to sit and wait for the replacement from them.

No word at all from Raijintek yet though.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:47 am 

Now Raijintek wants pictures and a video. Too bad I don't have a spare PSU to do this. I contacted Newegg about it and they want me to ship back the entire case and all accessories. This is ridiculous. Think I might stop shopping for computer parts at Newegg. This is the second case I've had a problem with from them. The first one was the Corsair which I had to get RMA replacement parts because it came damaged. Then I find out later it's defective in the fact that the expansion slots don't line up correctly. I had to RMA it to Corsair. So this is two cases in a row from Newegg that have come damaged or defective.

Never had any problems returning anything to Amazon. Also Amazon doesn't request that ship damaged items back to them. So for now on I'll probably look at Newegg but then search for the model number and purchase from Amazon.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:50 pm 

Well now I've got to wait. I'm gonna be purchasing a new case at Amazon and after I pull all my parts out of the old case and put them in the new case I'll have to ship it back to Newegg for a refund.

I really don't understand why so many of these cases are defective or manufactured so poorly. My old Dell E310 I had back 25 years ago and a real sturdy case and never any problems with ports or anything. The wife's old HP case is great.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:53 pm 

This will be my third case with the same build except the different motherboard and cpu....All in less than one year. Here is The case I'm ordering from Amazon. Hopefully it's still in stock on Friday.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:56 pm 

I should have researched that Marketplace seller before purchasing. No US support phone number and takes them 3 days to respond to one question via email. From the response I've got from them I bet they don't understand English very well either.

I've confirmed that the manufacturer of the new case I'm gonna purchase has US based support and allows people to purchase replacement parts for the cases they sell.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:59 pm 
Site Admin

FatGuy wrote:
...I really don't understand why so many of these cases are defective or manufactured so poorly. My old Dell E310 I had back 25 years ago and a real sturdy case and never any problems with ports or anything. The wife's old HP case is great.

Aftermarket cases are often poorly made, while Dell, HP, Acer and many other name brand system cases (those that take standard ATX motherboards) are usually great as they have durability, serviceability and warranty issues to live up to. I now save those discarded name brand systems just to re-use the cases in new builds. Scott.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:59 pm 

Scott wrote:
Aftermarket cases are often poorly made, while Dell, HP, Acer and many other name brand system cases (those that take standard ATX motherboards) are usually great as they have durability, serviceability and warranty issues to live up to. I now save those discarded name brand systems just to re-use the cases in new builds. Scott.

Is Rosewill still reputable, Scott? Also, which name-brand system cases have removable I/O panels?

Post Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:07 am 
Site Admin

Maxirad wrote:
Is Rosewill still reputable, Scott?

I don't know, I haven't purchased any of their products in a while. Let me know what you think if you do.

Quote:
Also, which name-brand system cases have removable I/O panels?

All of the old Dell, HP and Acer ATX cases I have incorporate industry standard removable I/O shields. If they didn't I wouldn't consider them true ATX standard cases. Scott.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:18 am 

Scott wrote:
All of the old Dell, HP and Acer ATX cases I have incorporate industry standard removable I/O shields. If they didn't I wouldn't consider them true ATX standard cases. Scott.

Well, Scott, can you tell me at least some of the product names associated with those ATX cases?

Post Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:49 pm 
Site Admin

Maxirad wrote:
Well, Scott, can you tell me at least some of the product names associated with those ATX cases?

The ones I currently have came from Dell, HP and Acer. Scott.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:06 pm 

Swapped motherboard and case fans from Rainjintek to Phanteks Enthoo Evolv.Much happier with this case so far. Install was pretty easy with the exception of I/O panel on the motherboard sticking out a bit too much to the left inside the case so my 140mm rear fan was so snug I could have left it there without screws in it. I did screw it in though. I had a few questions on the case and called the support number and the guy picks right up and he also speaks English. He was very helpful. The way this case is designed, it actually looks like it was really well thought out. The Rainjintek was a joke compared to this new case.

Hopefully having the fan in contact with the I/O isn't a problem and I don't see why it would be. If so I can just use a 120mm instead. Now I'm just awaiting my PSU that I sent in for RMA. I couldn't be happier with this case, and if anything goes wrong I replacement parts are readily available. It's sturdy and well made compared to any other case I've used.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:06 pm 

Scott wrote:

Well, Scott, I can't say that the case for the HP Pavilion Media Center m8300f had a removable I/O panel. Heck, the motherboard had something which made it practically impossible to remove without the right tool.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:03 pm 
Site Admin

Maxirad wrote:
I can't say that the case for the HP Pavilion Media Center m8300f had a removable I/O panel. Heck, the motherboard had something which made it practically impossible to remove without the right tool.

That system obviously doesn't conform to the ATX standard. In general I recommend avoiding proprietary systems. Scott.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:24 pm 

Scott wrote:
That system obviously doesn't conform to the ATX standard.

Well, Scott, the m8300f utilized an ATX PSU.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:51 pm 
Site Admin

Partial conformance to a standard is tantamount to being proprietary. Not acceptable in my book. Scott.

Post Posted: Wed May 02, 2018 4:47 pm 

Well I received my RMA from shipping in my Pc Power & Cooling supply. They shipped me out a refurb. I guess that is actually better than new because I believe the test before shipping out. I didn't mind dealing with PC Power & Cooling because they are in America and there is nothing "lost in translation". The thing is they do make you pay to ship it to them.

Also I recently did an RMA with my wife's old Corsair power supply I purchased in 2012. Just had to fill out an online form, a pre-paid shipping label was provided and they shipped me out a brand new power supply with an increase in wattage. Old one 430 Watts, new one is 550 Watts. Old one was not modular, new one is fully modular. They were a lot quicker than Pc Power & Cooling also. They are a much bigger company though so I'm guessing that's why they are able to get things done quicker and able to pay for my return shipping. Have to say PC Power & Cooling's packing wasn't great either. The bare power supply was just wrapped in plastic with one piece of bubble wrap around it. The box was only slightly bigger than the PSU itself. I think a bigger box with more packing material would have been better. This is really making me think twice about choosing Pc Power & Cooling for my next PSU. Corsair seems like a winner in my opinion. Seasonic is ok but I don't really fully trust that company base on some email exchanges I've had with them.

Post Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 11:50 am 

Scott wrote:

Scott, can you give me the specific names of your desktop PCs from Dell, HP, and Acer that have fully ATX-compliant cases?

Post Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 3:02 pm 
Site Admin

Maxirad wrote:
...can you give me the specific names of your desktop PCs from Dell, HP, and Acer that have fully ATX-compliant cases?

The ones I can easily see are cases from a Dell Dimension 2350, 4600 and an Acer Aspire T135. I have about 5 more fully compliant ATX cases from older systems but they are boxed up and not readily accessible. I find it economical to re-use ATX cases from older name brand systems as I usually get the systems for free as discards, the cases are normally of much higher quality than aftermarket cases and they don't have unnecessary gimmicks or goofy fashion over form designs. Scott.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:22 pm 

Here is a pic of the new case with new mb and cpu and cooler. You can click on the pic to make it bigger and then click on it once again for an even closer look.

The rear 140mm fan is pretty tight. I had purchased that 120mm for the front before I asked you Scott about front fans. The front panel sits a few inches "offset" from the case, so there is a big space there and a dust filter. That way cooler air can be pulled in from the front, pulled over the ram, SSD, through the cooler and exhausted out the back. I haven't connected everything yet because I'm getting a different power supply for it. A Seasonic Prime Ultra model. I put that one in just for a placeholder and so I don't have big gapping hole in the back for dust bunnies to get in.

What do you think Scott?. Keep the front fan or take it out and re-purpose it somewhere else?.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:42 pm 
Site Admin

I think the front fan is unnecessary. Scott.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:24 pm 

Ok thanks Scott. I wish I had remembered to ask you that before I purchased that fan. Maybe I did and just forgot, which is likely these days. I'll remove the front fan and save it for an extra.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware