Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware

Post subject: Optical Drive detection
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:12 am 

Ok this is my older pc with an old GA-P55M-UD4 and Windows 7 Pro 64bit. It also has a PCI express x1 Sata 6.0Gbps controller card connected via a pci express x 8 slot. It's connected to a Samsung 850 evo SSD on the port which is considered port 0 on the card.

I have two Optical drives attached. I noticed that when go to disk management that the system reports "CD-Rom 0" as drive E: and "CD-Rom 2" as drive D:. Now if I right click and click "Eject" on "CD-Rom 0" as Drive E: it ejects the top drive.

Now according to the way these drives are connected on the motherboard, CD-Rom drive 0 should be the top drive and it should be drive D:. The second drive should be "CD-Rom drive 1" drive E:. I could of course just change the drive letters, but that still begs the question--Why does it go from "Cd-Rom 0" to "Cd- Rom 2", where is "Cd-Rom 1"?

Post subject: Re: Optical Drive detection
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:34 am 

Ok I've deleted the controller and ATA Channel 0 and ATA channel 1 from device manager. Let them reinstall and now has "CD Rom 0 drive D:" as the bottom drive and "CD Rom 1 Drive E:" as the top drive. I guess I could just swap the connections on the motherboard but I swear they were in the correct areas before. The top drive is connected to the bottom Sata port labeled Sata 2_0 in the motherboard book and the bottom drive is connected to the top port labeled Sata 2_1 in the motherboard book.

Maybe I'm just interpreting the diagram wrong. I did just rebuild this pc a few weeks back so maybe they were in the wrong places. I don't use Optical drives very much anymore. Last time I used them was to create an .iso for Windows 10 Pro 64 bit install on my other pc and at that time they were labeled the same as they are now. Just didn't bother checking it out until now.

Post subject: Re: Optical Drive detection
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:56 pm 

They were connected to the wrong ports on the motherboard!. Ooops!. Guess I'm getting old forgetting the simple things like this Scott!

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware