[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Scott Mueller's Upgrading and Repairing PCs Forum • View topic - utility for identifying MAC addresses
Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware

Post subject: utility for identifying MAC addresses
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:44 am 

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:28 am 
Site Admin

The HWiNFO program can show you the MAC address of ethernet adapters installed in a PC:

HWiNFO is available in both DOS and Windows versions, and can be downloaded from http://www.hwinfo.com

Scott.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:51 pm 

It would be a lot more work, but just wanted to add that any workstation without an OS but having access to your Network could always be booted-up with a Linux Live CD such as Knoppix, and the ifconfig command should provide the MAC Address for any Ethernet card attached to it.

Too bad there isn't an equivalent CD (I'm unaware of any sold commercially by Microsoft) that would allow one to format a drive with NTFS and save/edit files via a local network or the Internet from a CD running only in memory! [Actually, there are a couple that come close: See Scott's reply below with links to two different Windows boot CD projects! -- added 2/11/08 D.S.]

You can, of course, do this with Knoppix and other Linux CDs as long as you don't mind using FAT32 partitions. Linux programmers have been working on NTFS tools to do so, but none have been truly successful at it so far; and M$ could always alter the file spec. later on.

Last edited by TheStarman on Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:45 am 

Thanks for the replies.

Scott, I downloaded that utility and tried to run it on the PC's we have in stock; unfortunately, I kept getting the "Fatal Error: Not enough memory" which I suppose means I have to modify the himem.sys file. I was about to research how to do this when a co-worker gave me a copy of netbootdisk, which worked fine but required that I plug the onboard NIC for each PC into a hub; otherwise the utility just returned 00-00-00-00-00-00. Also, netbootdisk takes about three minutes to load everything, so for future projects of this type i would prefer the utility you suggested. I have never had to play with the himem.sys file before but I suppose its a good opportunity for a relative neophyte such as myself to learn about extended memory.

Daniel,

I did come across a couple of forums suggesting a Linux boot disk and the ifconfig command; however I was unable to find any examples that did not require an installation of Linux plus some scripting etc, which I didn't really have time to do. Is the CD you refer to just available as an image somewhere?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:03 am 
Site Admin

Another suggestion would be to use one or both of the following:

Ultimate Boot CD: http://ultimatebootcd.com
Ultimate Boot CD for Windows: http://www.ubcd4win.com

These are bootable CD collections of useful utilities, including diagnostics, testing and benchmarking software, ideal for testing both new and old systems. Since these are self-booting and do not install anything on the host system, they are ideal for testing systems whether an OS is installed or not.

Several of the tools on either of these discs should be able to tell you the MAC address. Let me know which one you end up preferring. Scott.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:16 pm 

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware