[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Scott Mueller's Upgrading and Repairing PCs Forum • View topic - XP cannot find CD drives
Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware

Post subject: XP cannot find CD drives
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:38 pm 

Hi Scott,

I posted in the hardware section but I have a feeling it is XP.

XP does not show my CD ROM or CD/DVD burner. The BIOS sees them and I can boot to one of them so I am assuming they are operational. The device manager reports that a driver was loaded for both of them but cannot detect them. I uninstalled the secondary IDE channel and at boot it said it found them but I still cannot access them. I use my own modified version of explorer.exe and I took that out of the registry and am loading the default explorer.exe thinking I may have boinked something but that was not the cause. I am beginning to think it is OS because I am unable to boot into safe mode.

Thanks for your time.

Kyle

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:48 pm 
Site Admin

Do the drives work in another system? If so, then they are good, otherwise replace them.

If they are good, then XP is the problem. From your description of being unable to boot into safe mode, and using some alternative Explorer(?), I'd say it's time for a reinstall from scratch. Let me know how it turns out, Scott.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:31 pm 

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:38 pm 
Site Admin

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:07 pm 

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:28 pm 

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:34 pm 
Site Admin

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:54 pm 

The above MS article solved the problem. I don't remember removing any CD programs especially In CD but never the less deleting the upper filter from this registry key solved the problem. My CD drives are back and I am a happy man.

Thanks for your help Scott.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:19 pm 
Site Admin

Glad you figured it out, and thanks for posting the solution! Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware