Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware

Post subject: What happend here?
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:07 pm 

Hey Scott I was looking around at TigerDirect and found this HP Desktop. I noticed something strange, the expansion slots are in the middle instead of at the bottom. What did they do and why?. Aren't there any manufacturers out there anymore that make pcs with industry standard parts?. Really, take a look. Scroll down and look at the picture of inside the case.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... =H24-KR543

Post subject: Re: What happend here?
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:26 pm 
Site Admin

There are lots of systems available that use industry standard parts, including the HP system you reference in your post. According to the pictures, that HP system appears to include an industry standard microATX motherboard, microATX chassis, ATX12V 2.x PSU, standard 5.25" and 3.5" drives, etc. It also has integrated audio, video, and gigabit ethernet, as well as a PCIe x16 slot for a possible video card upgrade. All in all, it appears to be an excellent system for the money.

Note that industry standard ATX and microATX chassis can be designed to mount the motherboard on either the right or left side. While most have traditionally used the right side (slots down) mount, some do use the left side (slots up) mount, as is the case with this chassis.

Bottom line: This particular HP PC uses what appears to be completely industry standard components, and should be commended (and recommended) for it! Scott.

PS: In addition to the standard hardware, it also includes Vista Business with XP Pro downgrade rights, which means licenses (and installations) for both are included at no extra cost.

Post subject: Re: What happend here?
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:57 pm 

I guess what confused me was the way it was mounted like you said. Thanks for the explanation.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Desktop PC Hardware