Login    Forum    Register    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: Missing or corrupt biosinfo.inf file
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:03 pm 

I have a machine that will not boot to windows that is giving the error message: Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt - Windows\inf\biosinfo.inf.
This machine has a clean install of Win XP Home that is less than a couple years old. I have tried to run chkdsk in Recovery Console. I have attempted a couple of repair installs with the Windows XP home cd. I have tried to copy/replace the biosinfo.inf file from a floppy disk to the C:Windows directory - all to no avail. Other than wiping the drive and starting clean ( which I would sooner not do) I don't know what else to try. Does anyone have any ideas? System specs are: Intel P3 450mhz
Gigabyte GA-6ZMA Mainboard
256MB SDRAM
Win XP Home
ATI Mach 64 AGP video
WD Caviar 250 GB IDE HDD7m

Post subject: Re: Missing or corrupt biosinfo.inf file
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:51 pm 
Site Admin

It could be a malware problem, you should probably check for that. If not, then I'd recommend an in-place reinstall:

If that doesn't work, then the current installation must be seriously damaged, or perhaps there is an undiagnosed hardware problem as the underlying cause. As a test, you could install a spare drive and try a clean install on that, if it worked then that would clear all of the hardware except maybe your original drive. If you suspect a problem with the hard drive, you could run a diagnostic test on the drive. If a clean install on a spare drive works, and your original drive tests good, then a clean install on the original drive would be the recommended fix. Let me know what route you take and how it turns out, Scott.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:44 pm 

You may have already done this, bt if not exactly you can try this:

modified from here:

Use the Recovery Console to delete and replace the biosinfo.inf file.

Restart computer with the XP CD in the CD drive, then I pressed "R" for recovery console when that option became available. A choice came up and I entered "1" which took me to the C:\Windows prompt.

At that prompt, I typed "cd i386" and then I was in the C:\windows\i386 directory. The biosinfo.inf file is located there.

I deleted the file by typing "del biosinfo.inf"

Then I simply restarted the computer...and everything worked!!

[FN -- I am guessing XP rebuilds the file.]
------------------

see also:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/829784/en-us

Not the best from Microsoft, but it blames third party software installations, which I noted from Googling the biosinfo.inf file seemed to be responsible for a number of people's problems.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:37 pm 
Site Admin

Note that the biosinfo.inf file is a static file that is processed only during the installation of Windows XP. It contains information about specific "bad" or problematic systems (identified via BIOS), which require custom settings at install time. Strange that you would ever see a message about that file post-install, unless it is re-run during the installation of a Service Pack, which I gather may be true from some of the comments I see online.

I'd be interested to hear if some 3rd party anti-virus program was causing the problem. If so it would be another case of so-called "protection" software causing more problems than it solves. I should remember to start every troubleshooting session with: "Did you disable and/or uninstall any and all firewall and anti-malware software?" <g> Scott.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:18 am 

Gastech wrote:
I have a machine that will not boot to windows that is giving the error message: Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt - Windows\inf\biosinfo.inf.
This machine has a clean install of Win XP Home that is less than a couple years old. I have tried to run chkdsk in Recovery Console. I have attempted a couple of repair installs with the Windows XP home cd. I have tried to copy/replace the biosinfo.inf file from a floppy disk to the C:Windows directory - all to no avail. Other than wiping the drive and starting clean ( which I would sooner not do) I don't know what else to try. Does anyone have any ideas? System specs are: Intel P3 450mhz
Gigabyte GA-6ZMA Mainboard
256MB SDRAM
Win XP Home
ATI Mach 64 AGP video
WD Caviar 250 GB IDE HDD7m

Quote:

You could after you did what scott told you to do you can do a low level format of the drive and this well take care of any bad spot on the drive. Then to a high level format then try reinstall windows xp. come back and tell us what you did.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS