Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: PopWifi showing my wifi
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:24 am 

I recently started getting notifications on my Android Phone. They say -"Connect to insert my wifi name here" and "Save data- Use our Wi-fi!".

It's showing my wifi as a public wifi to connect to. I have a great password, but I'm wondering why it would broadcast to invite people to connect to my wifi!.

Post subject: Re: PopWifi showing my wifi
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:26 am 
Site Admin

Is your phone connected to your WiFi? If not it may be your phone trying to save data on your plan. Is that message coming up on other phones you haven't authorized to connect? What is your provider and do you use their supplied access point? Note that some supplied router/access points include public WiFi hotspots without your knowledge. In that case you might look into providing your own router/access point. I would look into it, let me know what you find... Scott.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:32 pm 

I don't even have service on my android phone. I only have wifi enabled on my Dir 655 router so I can surf the web on my android phone at night while in bed. Otherwise I don't use the wifi. I use Time Warner Cable/Spectrum for Cable internet service. I use the supplied cable modem/router for home phone service and it is/should be in bridge mode. The wifi light isn't even lit up on the cable modem so I know that's not it and it's the SSID for the wifi I enabled on my dlink.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:25 pm 
Site Admin

I would change your router and access point passwords. It could also be somebody nearby creating a honeypot to deceive you. Scott.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:02 pm 

Yep I did that last night. I found out more about PopWifi. I was out with the phone one night waiting for a pizza and I saw PopWifi pop up and I clicked to connect. I'm not sure if I had to set up an account or anything but I remember leaving feedback for the service. I did click on "connect" last night and disabled the notifications on my phone. I'm not sure but I don't think anything malicious is going on here. It might just be that I signed up for the free service or something and the service was allowing me to set up a "wall" so other people could connect if I wanted to.

Quote:
How do I find a venue’s Wall?
When you connect to Wi-Fi in a venue, Popwifi will let you know there’s a Wall for you to use; you just have to tap the notification to reach it. If the Wall has never been used before, you could be the first person to post on it! The Popwifi app may ask you to tell us something about the venue; for example, confirming the details we have for it. Although most Popwifi places are businesses and intended for public use (meaning they will appear in the ‘Nearby’ view to users at other venues) a wall at a private location like a home or office can be marked private. This means it can only be seen by users who can access that particular Wi-Fi network.

Quote:
A Popwifi message appeared on my phone when I was at home. What does that mean?
Popwifi shows welcome messages when you are in a place where a Wall has become active. These are normally businesses in the Popwifi Network. The Popwifi app also allows you to create Walls in new places, such as your home, so that you can use it to communicate with family and friends. Unlike businesses, your home Wall is private — only people who can access your Wi-Fi network can see it.

Quote:
Can I opt out of Popwifi?
Yes. Click on ‘Profile’ in the Popwifi menu and switch off Popwifi messages.

I also sent an email to them and asked about it. Have not received a response yet though.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware