Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: why is there sim card slot on my T420
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:13 pm 

Is that sim card slot in the T420 is that for cell internet. like 3G or 4G.

I just think this is just really weird.
I just found out about this by watch a you-tube video installing windows 10
If there is a sim card in it do you need to remove it before any upgrades or repair if so why?

Post subject: Re: why is there sim card slot on my T420
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:20 pm 
Site Admin

The ThinkPad T420/T520 included a spare PCI Express Mini Card (mPCIe)/mSATA socket, which Lenovo used to install several different mPCIe cellular modem cards (like this one). When activated they would provide a cellular based internet connection, allowing the system to be online in areas without WiFi hotspots. Today instead of using such a card I recommend tethering to a cellphone as that would provide the fastest possible connection without having to pay for an additional cellular contract. Since the socket also supports mSATA SSDs, I used it to install a Samsung 850 EVO SSD in my T520. Scott.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:55 am 

Scott wrote:
The ThinkPad T420/T520 included a spare PCI Express Mini Card (mPCIe)/mSATA socket, which Lenovo used to install several different mPCIe cellular modem cards (like this one). When activated they would provide a cellular based internet connection, allowing the system to be online in areas without WiFi hotspots. Today instead of using such a card I recommend tethering to a cellphone as that would provide the fastest possible connection without having to pay for an additional cellular contract. Since the socket also supports mSATA SSDs, I used it to install a Samsung 850 EVO SSD in my T520. Scott.

the sim card slot is under the battery. for the socket that support mSATA SSD is that under the where the ram is on the bottom of the T420 is that the one you are talking about I am not sure is will that replace the HDD. So if I want to on my T420 I could have 3 hard drives. by installing the 3rd hard drive where the dvd drive is.

I not clear on the sim card slot are you talking about putting a mSTATA where the sim card go under the battery ?..... Sorry if this don't make much since. I have not had much sleep for the last 2 days. Been under lot of street.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:57 pm 
Site Admin

A SIM card won't be installed (or if it is it won't function) unless you have a WWAN (cellular modem) card in the mPCIe/mSATA slot. Scott.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:22 pm 

Scott wrote:
A SIM card won't be installed (or if it is it won't function) unless you have a WWAN (cellular modem) card in the mPCIe/mSATA slot. Scott.

there is a white blank card in the sim card slot must came like that from the factory inside the battery compartment So is the mSTATA slot in with the ram right. that would be a full hard drive do you need to format it or is formatting a SSD is bad like defrag. does the a Samsung 850 EVO SSD come with it own cloning software if so how good is that.

I can't wait for your new book 23 upgrading and repairing pc....

you didn't answer my other questions.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:24 am 
Site Admin

spiderman wrote:
...do you need to format it or is formatting a SSD is bad like defrag.

All storage devices need to be formatted, whether it be by the mfr. or the end user. The only caveat when formatting an SSD under Windows is to do only a "quick" format.

Quote:
...does the a Samsung 850 EVO SSD come with it own cloning software if so how good is that.

Yes, however I don't know how good it is because I haven't used it. I normally do a new OS install when migrating to a new drive. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware