Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: Scott VM and the sandbox in windows 10 windows defender
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:46 am 

in windows 10 pro 64bit

I noticed in the screen shot here is that two things are grey out do i need to have these enable for the windows defender to work right.

it said it not enable in the firmware
this is the T530 thinkpad lenovo.
I have the newest up to date bios

Is there something in the bios should be enable?

Attachments:
sandbox why is it grey out.PNG
sandbox why is it grey out.PNG [ 16.68 KiB | Viewed 154 times ]
 Post subject: Re: Scott VM and the sandbox in windows 10 windows defender
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:56 pm 
Site Admin

You'll find more info on the Sandbox here: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/ ... a-p/301849

Let me know what you need to change in your BIOS Setup options to enable it on your system. Scott.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:14 pm 

Scott wrote:
You'll find more info on the Sandbox here: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/ ... a-p/301849

Let me know what you need to change in your BIOS Setup options to enable it on your system. Scott.

I was wondering do I need to have the windows defender guard enable cause it is grey out
would this need to be enable for windows defender to do it job and keeping virus and stuff off the computer if not then I will install my vipire antivirus software and internet security on the new windows 10 pro laptop.

and the two settings I found in the bios in the T530 thinkpad under security I find these settings
Intel (R) Virtualization technology disable
Intel (R) VT -d feature disable

i am not sure what they do?

Post Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:26 pm 
Site Admin

Look them up and let me know what you find. I do not use Windows Defender myself and do not generally recommend it for people experienced with PCs, however I do recommend it to those who are computer novices or are prone to finding malware. Scott.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:16 am 

Scott wrote:
Look them up and let me know what you find. I do not use Windows Defender myself and do not generally recommend it for people experienced with PCs, however I do recommend it to those who are computer novices or are prone to finding malware. Scott.

What is the best thing to used then cause I really don't think the vipre advanced security anti-virus that i paid a lifetime for can handle windows 10 and viruses.

I could try it i do have a clone of the drive.

another thing is it OK to delete restore points and make a new restore point cause when i did that it free up space on my SSD in my T420 think-pad and I am thinking doing that to the T530 think-pad windows 10 laptop as far as the sandbox and the windows defender I don't really have the need for. Do you used the windows sandbox to test software.

thanks for the help

I am going to get the windows updates form last week patches. for windows 10 pro. i guess 1909 coming out next month. I wish they would keep on working on it and kill those bugs I bet a can of raid would take care of that lol <G>

take care

Post Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:03 pm 
Site Admin

I use a spare system to test software. I don't currently use or recommend any anti-malware software to experienced PC users as it is most often more of a problem than the malware itself. For novices or those who are prone to using the computer irresponsibly I recommend the free Windows Defender. Let me know what you use and recommend and why. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware