Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: Message Center Plus, what does it do?
 Post Posted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:32 am 

Has anyone using Thinkpads figured out what Message Center Plus (MCP), the System Update replacement, does? I've installed it on all my TP kit, and all it seems to do is load "MCPLaunch.exe" at Windows logon. I know there are newer drivers on the drivers matrix, but MCP hasn't done anything in response that I can discern, on either XP or Vista. The Lenovo forums seem equally perplexed. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Message Center Plus, what does it do?
 Post Posted: Mon May 11, 2009 2:15 pm 
Site Admin

Message Center Plus is not a replacement for System Update, which has been discontinued. There is no replacement for System Update, which is fine since it never worked that well anyway, and Lenovo makes it so easy to find and download updates manually.

So then what does Message Center Plus do? According to Lenovo, it "alerts you when conditions arise on your computer that require your attention."

One of those potential conditions: "Lenovo is pursuing alternative solutions for system updates and future offerings will be communicated through the new Lenovo Message Center Plus." OK, but I don't think you need to install a messaging program so that one day in the future you can be interrupted with a notification about an update to a program that I don't recommend in the first place.

On ThinkPads you'll also get an alert "when you need to replace your battery." OK, but you would already get that same alert from the ThinkPad Power Manager anyway. I'm sure the Message Center will bother you with lots of other unecessary messages, alerts, offerings, propaganda, etc. as well. Thanks but no thanks.

Bottom line: See my list of recommended ThinkPad software, and you'll note that program is on the list of what *not* to install. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware