Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: Laptop AC connector end overheating
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:21 am 

I have a Compaq Presario v2000, sn CNF55116NW , Model EP378UA#ABA. My AC adapter connector end, the end that connects to the PC, melted the yellow insert in the connector. I noticed that I can run the laptop with the battery out and the AC plugged in and there is very little heat. However if I put the battery back in and it begins to charge after about 15 or 20% of charging the end gets hot and after about 40 or 50% the end is extremely hot. I know that when the PC is in use and if the battery is charging and the PC is being used the AC adapter will heat up but to have the connector end to melt the yellow insert appears to be way too hot. When the battery reached full charge the connector cooled off but when I pulled the connector end out of the PC it was stuck, hence the melted insert. The battery ran the PC OK and the charge dissipated about 15% in about 20 to 25 minutes. Could my battery be bad or is it the motherboard?
Thanks Stan

Post subject: Re: Laptop AC connector end overheating
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:58 am 
Site Admin

Batteries are the single most failure prone item in a laptop. In addition, they rarely last more than 2 years, some less than that. So most likely the battery is bad, and should be replaced. However, the end of the AC adapter may also be bad, as it should not melt under any conditions. What happens is that as it takes constant bending and strain, the wires can break internally, leaving a high resistance connection that overheats, especially under high power draw conditions such as when simultaneously running the unit and charging the battery. In your case you might need to replace both the battery and the AC adapter. Scott.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:29 am 

Thanks Scott for your reply.
I have replaced the Ac adapter and it also melted the yellow insert. So correct me if I am wrong but is it possible the battery is causing the overheating of the connector. I haven't replaced the battery because it holds a charge and charges reasonably fast.
Thanks Stan

Post Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:17 pm 
Site Admin

Unfortunately the only way you'll know its the battery is to replace it. I also suspect that the connector inside the laptop itself is damaged, possibly causing high resistance and subsequent melting. I'd inspect the connector, especially where it connects to the motherboard. If it is soldered in, the solder joint may be cracked, which could cause this type of problem as well. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware