Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: Laptop Warrintees
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:45 am 

This one tricky When I order my laptop they told me I could just buy the gpus and it will be faster. Well I did that about 8 Months ago. The laptop was running good untel the Sleep mode issue. New motherboard.

Now they want to replace my system Part and laber for the Main system Alienware m17x with dual 8600gt 1gb of ram and 120gb hard drive and 320gb hard drive. and extra AC adapter.

Now I have two 9800gt gpus that are less then a year old that came from Alienware how should they honer ther warrintee. I would Guess 1 year part and laber.

I can understand if I order them from a secondary vendor they would voild the warrintee.

I check on Alienware terms and agreements. The only thing they have listed as issue is Software. Not hardware.

Post subject: Re: Laptop Warrintees
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:08 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
This one tricky...

I concur. <g> Scott.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:22 am 

If Alienware won't give you proper answers to your warranty questions or if they are giving you the runaround, go to ePinions and other review sites and warn other people about your experience with them. Then buy a mainstream laptop from HP, Toshiba, Lenovo, etc. that have a clear stated warranty.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:54 am 

To build on what Randy said, about a year ago I worked on a cousins Falcon Northwest Mach V machine and they provided the most knowledgable and helpful customer service I've had. Instead of trying to convince them that the memory modules were failing they almost immediately (after 1 test) insisted on replacing the memory modules. They even doubled the amount that had come with the system. They let me ask as many questions as I wanted and made sure to answer all of them and I was able to speak to the same tech each time and as an added bonus he wasn't outsourced.

Granted their machines are very pricey but they absolutely stand behind them. If you want to spend the money to buy from them I think you will have a very good experience. My cousin had previously purchased an Alienware and had a great deal of trouble when trying to get support from them. Just my 2 cents.

-Evan

Post Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:41 pm 

It makes such a huge difference the customer support, after all if a machine is in warranty it means that any defective hardware has to be sourced via the warranty, indeed some machines have warranty tags / stickers which become evident if you remove them.

I remember once dealing with a customer that had AOL. I quickly diagnosed the router as faulty by plugging my own router which is identical to theirs (Both Netgear DG834G V4's)

And yet they still would not replace her router, Spent an hour arguing with them :evil:

Thing is she was unable to cancel her contract with them and get a MAC code as it was an 18 month contract with "free" Laptop, so to cancel she would have had to pay for the rest of the machine!

I find when I visit people who have internet connection problems, that it's best for them to try and dig out any paper work they have from their ISP, this can save having to phone the customer "support" people

Last edited by David McMahon on Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:41 pm 

It doesn't surprise me that AOL can give away free laptops and still find a way to p*** customers off.

Why don't they just purchase the rights to Windows ME and Vista, fire up the old Packard Bell factory and hire some of the old Enron execs to run it?

Post Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:13 am 

I have to say Dell did honor there warrintee. Even with the extra upgrades. What I think happen is you have The Alienware tech saying one thing and Dell going no problem. So thumbs up Dell. Now Ordering a new system.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware