Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: Thinkpad Z60M 2529 R5U
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:59 pm 

Scott this is my laptop I use just for browsing the web, kind of out dated but it still serves its purpose. It is my first Thinkpad and my next laptop and all future laptops will be Thinkpads. Anyway, the last month or so I have been noticing the the edges of the screen seemed to be getting darker darker. Now today it seems to have gotten much much worse and I can barely see it. Its almost like a light that is slowly burning out....

This would suggest to me(from what I've learned from you) that it is the LCD INVERTER that is going bad. Is this correct?.

Post subject: Re: Thinkpad Z60M 2529 R5U
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:34 pm 

Actually now that I am going over your video from U&R Laptops 2nd edition, it sounds more like it would be the bulb. You say in the video if it goes slowly its most likely the bulb, but if its all of a sudden than its the lcd inverter....

Post Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:45 pm 
Site Admin

It could be either the inverter or backlight, but when the inverter goes, the screen is usually completely dark. Because the inverter is much easier to replace, I'd start with that just in case. If that doesn't help, you'll either have to replace the backlight itself (which can be difficult), or the entire panel (much easier, but more expensive). Scott.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:54 pm 

I don't think this laptop is worth more than about $200 and I don't want to put much work into it. So I guess I can try replacing the inverter first, but if thats not the problem I will be selling this laptop. Time for a new one anyway, was hoping it would last a little bit longer though. Just found the backlight for around $10, didn't know it would be so cheap. So I will try the inverter first and let you know how it goes. Ok I just ordered the inverter. Hopefully that is all I will have to replace.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:40 pm 

Received the inverter today. Stay tuned. Hope all goes well. Just started got everything ready. I'm following the video on the Ibm/Lenovo Site and also the HMM for the laptop. Taking my time since this is my first time doing this.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:14 pm 

Looks like it must be something elese. The screen is brighter but still dim. I don't think its worth it to replace the screen. By the way while working my way through the system there were several missing screws and I have never opened up the machine before except to put in Ram. So this laptop is being sold or I might just give it away or trade it for a new Scott Mueller book....

Post Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:05 am 

Laptop repair stresses me out. It just takes too long and the aggravation raises my already high blood pressure. Really I'm getting rid of this laptop....Might try working on another one sometime, might not, just too upset at this point.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:03 am 

Hey Relax! I've been there too fatguy! Just take the night off and "fix it slowly"

Post Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:20 pm 

Well David this laptop was/is not worth the time, money, and trouble to repair. I purchased it several years ago from the Lenovo outlet. The thing that especially upset me was that several screws were missing when I had never opened this Laptop except to upgrade the ram when I first purchased it. If it was a newer laptop it may have been worth the time and effort. I will chalk it up to a learning experience, now I know how to replace an inverter.

One thing I will say about Thinkpads is they are a lot well put together than other laptops. I've only opened a few others. Other manufactures make more fragile parts, poorly put together and designed. For instance with the Thinkpad, the ribbon cables are thicker and have a big piece of foam to grab and a larger connector to grab when removing/disconnecting.

If you take apart say an HP you have these tiny little connectors they call "Zif sockets" that are extremely fragile, almost like a toy. Move something the wrong way it will brake. Also good luck finding a replacement plastic part for it, but with Thinkpads you will almost NEVER have that issue because of the way they are designed and built. If you do brake a plastic piece it is easily findable.

The laptop had a good run, I have had since the spring of 06, but now it is time for it go and see Scott Mueller and he will probablly fix it up like its brand new.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:26 pm 

FatGuy wrote:
The thing that especially upset me was that several screws were missing when I had never opened this Laptop

Yes I have noticed that too, as part of my diagnostics I try to replace screws with equivalents, Scott on that note is it possible to buy packs of Notebook screws as you can do with packs of Desktop screws?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=31262

Post Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:22 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
...is it possible to buy packs of Notebook screws as you can do with packs of Desktop screws?

It is for ThinkPads. <g> Scott.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:38 am 

David McMahon wrote:
Yes I have noticed that too, as part of my diagnostics I try to replace screws with equivalents, Scott on that note is it possible to buy packs of Notebook screws as you can do with packs of Desktop screws?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=31262

Just rediscovered this thread after searching for notebook screw packs myself.

I've just received these from amazon.co.uk which seems to offer a good selection.

The product is sold direct here here from http://www.laptopscrewsdirect.com. Free shipping within UK and looks good value international rates - only 2.50GBP/3.93USD from UK to US.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware