Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: dv6000 that won't start / wont detect wireless network
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:06 pm 

Hello, I'm attempting to repair a HP DV 6000 (DV6119US to be exact) that has several issues as described in this HP bulletin
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/docu ... c=en&cc=us

Particularly it would not detect wireless networks and would not start up. LEDs would come on for 5 seconds then the computer would restart etc etc..... First I updated the bios to the most current version with no affect. After that I replaced everything I can think of. This includes motherboard, CPU, RAM, wireless card, DVD drive, hard drive, LCD screen, battery, AC adapter, power adapter PCB (where the AC adapter is plugged into), speakers, express card bay, case, all ribbon cables and other wire harnesses. To my knowledge there is no other component in there. What I am trying to say is I literally replaced everything.
At this moment what is sitting on my bench is the motherboard with the CPU plugged in (I've tried 2 CPUs) one stick of RAM (tried 2 sticks of RAM), the power adapter PCB (I've tried 2 power adapter PCBs) with the LCD (I've tried 2 LCDs) plugged in and it still has the same issue of only the LEDs coming on for 5 seconds then restarting. I have also tried unplugging the power adapter PCB and going off battery power.
I can only think of 2 possibilities. 1 - the motherboard I was shipped was bad and has the same problem, 2 - There are 2 components bad and both must be changed at the same time.
Unfortunately I can not ship back the computer to HP to fix under the warrenty since the extended warranty has expired.
Please tell me if I'm crazy Scott is there something I'm missing.
Thanks in advance.

PS the motherboard supplier I used swears up and down that the motherboard was fully tested before shipping and was in working condition. Help!!!!!

Post subject: Re: dv6000 that won't start / wont detect wireless network
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:01 pm 
Site Admin

If the system restarted every 5 seconds I wonder how you could update the BIOS. In any case, it sounds like you are dealing with multiple failures. At times like this it is best to start over, assume nothing, and question everything. Replace one thing at a time with known-good spares, and eliminate as many variables as possible (reduce the system to an absolute minimum of parts necessary to do anything, then add parts from there). Without inspecting the system in person, that's about all I can offer. Let me know what you find, Scott.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:42 am 

OK at first the system would start intermittently. It was at this time that I was able to update the bios. It was also at this time that I noticed it does not detect wireless networks. After maybe a month it stopped booting up at all and only gave me some LEDs on the mobo for 5 seconds than it would restart LEDs for 5 secs than restart etc etc.
I do have the bare minimum of parts running now and it still gives me the same problem. I only have motherboard, CPU, one stick of ram, LCD, and the small board where you must plug in the AC adapter. In this condition I have tried swapping every single component I just mentioned and it still does not work. (this includes trying a different motherboard)
As I mentioned in my first post the only conclusion I can come up with is the motherboard (or another component) that I am swapping is also bad and causing the same problem
Or there are 2 components that need to be changed at the same time. For example maybe when I plug in the CPU it does something to the motherboard. So I change the motherboard but I put in the old CPU and that takes out the new motherboard without me knowing it. I have seem this happen to other electrical appliances so I have experience with it. It can drive you crazy because you change everything and you still have the problem but you don't realize one component is taking out another so both must be changed at the same time.
I hope this clears up what I meant in the first post. Sorry for the confusion.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:49 am 
Site Admin

If the system is eligible for the free repair mentioned in the link you posted, I would certainly take advantage of that.

The first thing I would suspect is the AC adapter and battery. You say you changed the AC adapter, but was the replacement known-good? I would try running without the battery and with a known-good AC adapter. I would also be on the lookout for bad capacitors on the motherboards you have, since if they are the same age, both could be bad. Scott.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:33 am 

Elburro, you should try calling HP and see if they will repair it for free. Even if your warrenty is expired you may still be eligible. I have done this myself for a friend before, the warrenty was expired on the laptop also. They were having power problems with the system not starting up. I think it was a dv6000 series. I would not tell them you tried repairing it yourself though, that might have a negative effect on whether or not they will repair for you. Anyway it was really nice, they sent me a special laptop box with a prepaid label and it was a perfect fit. They even included tape.

I would tell whoever you are fixing it for to get a Thinkpad next time. Then they will not have to deal with poorly designed laptops cheaply manufactured with cheap plastic "toy-like" parts.

I have only taken apart 1 or 2 HP laptops and that is my opinion of them. I would never purchase one and even if I got one as a gift I would sell it for money for a Thinkpad.

Anyway just call HP and listen to them and do exactly what they say. Act like you have no clue, that will give you a better outcome when calling tech support looking for repair...They will probally give you steps to follow, even though you have done all that just don't let know you have. Follow each step and do let them know how frustrated you are with the machine, but do not tell them you have tried repairing it yourself.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:25 pm 

Fat guy I actually call HP just as you described and they refused to fix without charge. Believe me I tried. They are willing to do it for $300. My customer would rather I do it but so far I'm having no luck.
Scott the AC adapter I tried is known good and I tried it with just battery, just AC adapter, and I've changed the motherboard. Also I can see no blown capacitors on either motherboard. As I've said before I have actually changed every single component in there and it still does not work. I do mean every single component. I'm trying to see if I can exchange the motherboard I was sent and I'm going to see if I can get a 3rd AC adapter (even though the current AC adapter works fine for other laptops)
I'm sorry but this computer is really driving me nuts.
What do you do when basically you've built a 2nd laptop and it still gives you the same problem as the first one.
Arrrggghhhh
thanks for the help guys

Post Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:49 pm 

I would say that the other motherboard is bad if you can just send it and mark it as DOA get a RMA number and send it in for a replacement.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:15 pm 

Elb. there has to be something you are missing. Have you tried a different hard drive?. How about a different optical drive?. From what you are describing it does sound like its not passing the POST. Check out these links on the HP website which may help you with a diagnosis,

You said the LEDs blink so you may be able to diagnose it with this link,

http://tinyurl.com/ydsmh7z

So the blinking leds may actually be giving you the answer. That link will tell you the specific amount of blinks and what they mean for HP.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:25 pm 

fat guy I actually do not have the HDD or optical drive connected to it now and it still has the same problem. Also I have literally replaced ALL components. Including wire harnesses and case. Also the the LEDs do not blink rather stay on continuously for around 5 seconds than they turn off and them come back on for 5 sec repeat repeat etc..... I do not even have the cpu fan plugged in so I could eliminate that. I've unplugged the cmos battery, then replaced it. Still has the same problem. I think I will try to post a video online so you can see exactly what it is doing.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:17 pm 

Since you've replaced *every* component then you're saying you've *completely* built a "new" machine from the ground up, correct? If that is the case then have you tried doing a fresh install of Windows using an OEM or Retail disc? You've indicated that the replacement MB is the *only* component that you can't confirm is working correctly which means you need to have that replaced/exchanged as cyberghost said.

You could also charge the owner $300 (or more) and send it to HP...

ElBurro wrote:
I do not even have the cpu fan plugged in so I could eliminate that.
Scott, could that be causing his POST failure? If there is nothing cooling the CPU that could cause the system to lock/reload?

Not that it matters at this point, but according to the HP bulletin you posted they said *do not* update the BIOS. If you hadn't tried a new MB I would think that was your problem, but I'm not really sure at this point.

I wish you the best.

-Evan

Post Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:34 pm 
Site Admin

I would definitely consider the CPU fan as one of the bare minimum components that should remain plugged in. I'd install the CPU and heatsink (connect the fan), one known-good memory module, connect the display and AC adapter and test it that way. If it worked at that point, then I'd continue adding components one at a time and testing along the way. Scott.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:38 pm 

you are right even that I basically built a new machine and it still has a problem. There can only be 2 causes for this to my knowledge. 1 - one of the components that I swapped is bad 2 - one of the components is causing another to fail. ex. lets say the motherboard was bad to begin with but I did not know this. I replace the RAM to eliminate it and the motherboard causes the RAM to fail but there is no change in symptoms so all I know is I still have the same problem. Now I change the motherboard and the now bad RAM causes the motherboard to fail. Round and round we go.
I actually have seen that happen and cause major headaches for service techs (including me) since you don't know that it is happening. I hope that is not the case here.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:20 pm 

Since you're leaning towards the "new" motherboard as being bad and causing the other problems can you get access to another know good MB to test each component you are swapping in and out to verify that they are still good? If you can determine that every component is known to work then you will know it's the MB that is bad (again).

Maybe Scott will take a look at it? Though I have no idea how much "Muellerized" repair $300 will get you. <g>

-Evan

Post Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:25 pm 

If you do get it going, maybe part ex it for a laptop.....

Post Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:48 am 

David McMahon wrote:
If you do get it going, maybe part ex it for a laptop.....

I'm sorry I dont know what "part ex" is

Post Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:14 am 

part ex stand for read on <G> enjoy learning what part ex means ! !

Part exchange is a term that originated in the United Kingdom and refers to the swapping or bartering or exchange of goods or services. The exact definition for part exchange is "the exchange of resources or services for mutual advantage" and many believe this concept goes back to the start of mankind, it even operates in the animal and plant kingdoms. Barter or part exchange amongst humans pre-dates the use of even the earliest forms of money. One of the earliest forms known to us was the barter through the use of cattle – which included goats, sheep, camels and horses or any livestock that was used for produce or transport.

So successful is this form of interaction that bartering or part exchange is still very much in use today amongst all peoples from all regions. Governments and other organizations often find it easier to part exchange resources and services then to purchase outright, as do companies and individuals.

In fact the internet has given a whole new lease of life to part exchange, by removing the biggest original obstacles – distance and difficulty of finding suitable partners and, more importantly a trusted regulator or medium with whom to conduct the exchange.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:51 am 

Gee Cyberghost was that a cut and paste job?. You should really give the link and mention that you used cut and paste and where you got the information.... Otherwise it could be considered plagarism. I admit I am sometimes guilty of this myself which is why I always try to remember to use quotes and put a link to where I got the information in the post.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/article-checkers-5-free-websites-to-catch-the-copycats/

Post Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:52 pm 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Part_exchange

fatguy are you happy now since I post the link. and wikipedia.org is free.
one more thing that is not how you spell plagarism This is how you spell the right way plagiarism. <g> cyberghost.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware