Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: Mystery Gouge in TP LCD Assembly
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:32 pm 

I've noticed that after cleaning my screen today on my nearly 3 year old T42, there's a small gouge on the lower left quadrant of the LCD. At first I thought it was some particle stuck to the screen, then perhaps some sub-pixels had just pooped out. After closer inspection and running my fingernail over it, it turns out to be a small gouge on the order of a centimeter or less, probably only in the upper layer of the screen assembly. I have no idea how long it's been there, or what caused it. I don't remember closing anything on it, and none of my cats have damaged the laptop before or the desktop LCD that is out in the open. I might have just noticed it after cleaning the screen, or it could have happened just today somehow. I'm just going to chalk it up to wear and tear, and hope I can get a new TP within the next year or so. So basically, I'm wondering if other people have seen tiny mystery gouges appear in LCDs out of the blue?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:05 pm 
Site Admin

I can't say that I've ever noticed gouges appearing on screens. If there was something sharp on whatever you cleaned the screen with I could see that doing it without you noticing. I think I'm going to make sure that there is nothing on the towel before I go and clean LCD screens from now on.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:15 pm 

It was a dustless cloth. It had been used before on the screen, but nothing on it that should scratch that I could see. As I can't tell what caused it, and it could have been something on the cloth, I think I'll use new cloths each and every time I clean the screen from now on.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware