Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: Laptop Motherboard
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:44 pm 

Since laptop motherboards are so proprietary and expensive relative to the cost of replacing the computer. Is it possible to make repairs on a laptop board like changing capacitors and resistors?

There are a lot of small components on the boards. Is it likely that a fault could be in a small part that is possible to replace with a soldering iron? How would you test these components, does anyone do this kind of thing?

Post subject: Re: Laptop Motherboard
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:59 pm 
Site Admin

All of that is possible, however the labor and parts costs generally far exceed that of a replacement board, if not the value of the entire system. Scott.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:31 pm 

Well by coincidence this guy posted a craigslist ad yesterday -- I like to keep up with the competition -- so I checked out his site and ran across this page. Not a recommendation, I just thought it intriguing.

Was I impressed by his site? No. While I spent a couple of hours perusing his site map, I noted you actually don't get to examine his "books." A example chapter for download might have been reassuring, along with a TOC and Index. And while I did not find anything that sent off alarm bells, I didn't find the pages particularly useful --- I guess you just have to buy the books;-)

Post Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:48 pm 

The question about spotting motherboard damage (testing components) jogged my memory about some sites on Intel for board damage that I thought fascinating. If I got originally these links from Scott or Mike or someone else on this site in the past I apologize for lack of hat tip.

Preventing physical damage

Customer induced damage criteria

Electrical Overstress definition and prevention

Post Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:16 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, I think you got those links here. <g> They are indeed interesting. Scott.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:47 pm 

FascistNation wrote:
Well by coincidence this guy posted a craigslist ad yesterday -- I like to keep up with the competition -- so I checked out his site and ran across this page. Not a recommendation, I just thought it intriguing.

His book claims to cover power jack replacement. I tried this once but after reassembling the laptop there were parts left over and it never worked again. The power jack and cable end were melted so I thought I could replace it. I think this is a common problem though.

I agree with Scott that it's probably not worth it but it might be fun to do as a hobby or something.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fix ... ,1606.html

Thanks for the replies

Post Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:34 pm 

FascistNation wrote:

Was I impressed by his site? No. While I spent a couple of hours perusing his site map, I noted you actually don't get to examine his "books." A example chapter for download might have been reassuring, along with a TOC and Index. And while I did not find anything that sent off alarm bells, I didn't find the pages particularly useful --- I guess you just have to buy the books;-)

I looked over the link and did find a link to a sample of the ebook,

http://www.usa-ontheroad.com/support-files/scru-sample.pdf

I don't know though, kind of leery if the guy really knows what he is talking about. With Scott I know he knows what he is talking about. Scott doesn't have to have a web site made for the sole purpose of selling his book. If I have a question I can just come on here and ask. Whereas if I asked that guy a question he would probably just say "buy my book" for the answer. Scotts books sell themselves and are professionally published- this guys book(single book) is obscure and I've never heard of the author.

The thing is reading the guys book I would be questioning myself in my head whether or not the information presented is correct. Than I would most likely look up the answer in one of Scotts books and also come on here and post the question to be sure I understood correctly.

Keep in mind I'm not puting this Monte Russell guy down, I'm just saying I come to Scott as the final authority on pc and laptop repair.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:52 pm 

In regards to this post. I have a few laptops that I have suspect have failed MoBo's, Nonetheless, I would like to tinker around with them and see if I can find the chip or capacitor that has failed or ect.

My question is where would one start the investigating process on a possible dead mobo. I guess I would need to get out my multi meter?

Thanks.

Shane

Post Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:15 pm 
Site Admin

I'd look for obvious damage, such as burnt components, swelled or leaking capacitors, contaminant residue, broken power jacks, etc. You can probably replace any obviously defective simple components like capacitors or resistors, but it will be difficult to find replacement parts for chipset components or other damaged chips.

For diagnosing problems at the component or schematic level beyond a visual exam, you'll need more than a multimeter. <g> Scott.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:25 pm 

Thanks Scott, So if I do not see anything obvious ile need to call the pro's :mrgreen:

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware