Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: Cleaning out dust from laptop fans
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:25 pm 

Hey Scott I was watching an A+ training based video by Michael Meyers and he said,

"Never ever used a can of compressed air to blow air into a laptop!"

Instead he says to use an anti-static vacuum and its the only thing you should ever use to clean out the inside of laptops.

He doesn't give an explanation of this. I would like to know why. Guess I will put in a email to the guy but I'm not sure he will answer. So for now maybe you have an idea of his reasoning behind this?.

Post subject: Re: Cleaning out dust from laptop fans
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:53 pm 
Site Admin

I cannot answer that any more than I can tell you why Al Gore thinks he invented the internet. <g> Scott.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:18 pm 

Hey I just have no clue as to why anyone would say not to do that?. I'm wondering if its just what Comptia wants or there is some type of reasoning behind this. Never ever heard or read this before. Thats why I'm coming to you for answers on this because I know you will give me the correct answer.

Don't mean to waste your time but hey if I can get an answer than I can arm myself with the knowledge to dis-credit his statement.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:32 pm 
Site Admin

One day you will learn that you cannot correct all of the mis-information in the world. Choose your battles well... <g> Scott.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:30 am 

The laptop might blow off the table, crashing to the floor. This should be labeled on the can.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:02 pm 

FatGuy wrote:
"Never ever used a can of compressed air to blow air into a laptop!"

Instead he says to use an anti-static vacuum and its the only thing you should ever use to clean out the inside of laptops.

I have always been kind of reluctant to blow out a fully assembled laptop with compressed air because in my opinion the dust does not actually escape the machine. In other words the dust gets blown around in side the machine with some of the dust partially escaping but not all of it.

As far as the vacuum goes.. I do not see how a vacuum would get ALL the dust from sucking at the vents.

In a perfect scenario where the laptop was blown out regularly the quick blast of compressed air would probably be viable for cleaning out the PC, but as we all know people never do that, therefore, one can only expect a laptop to be loaded up with junk, and in that case a proper cleaning involves tearing down the laptop partly if not all the way and then blowing out the dust.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:31 pm 
Site Admin

I believe that the referenced statement was nonsense. I use a professional air compressor to clean laptops just as I do desktop systems, in my experience nothing does a better job. The cooling ducts in a laptop are generally sealed such that the CPU fan both draws air in as well as exhausts air out through one or more interconnected ports. Thus if you blow in one port, the air (and dust) will come out through the others, and not blow into the system. I also turn the system upside down and blow out the keyboard as well. Tearing the laptop apart is definitely *not* required (unlike as it is with a desktop), other than say removing the battery, swappable bay devices, or other externally removable components. The only caution using compressed air (besides following standard ESD prevention practices) is to be careful not to overspeed any cooling fans (hold them stationary if possible). Scott.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:06 pm 

I got a reply from him and apparently its a Comptia thing. So I guess its the answer they want if taking the test. He told me that he has no problem using compressed air on a laptop. So I guess the "powers that be" just want that answer if you happen to get that question on the test.

Really I'm not to worried about it anymore. Done with it. Already forgotten....

Also I too don't see the point of tearing a laptop down completely to blow out dust. Thats a little over compulsive....

Post Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:37 pm 

FatGuy wrote:
I. Thats a little over compulsive....

Sometimes I get really compulsive and use a pressure steamer washer, nothing like washing down a laptop with a 100 PSI jet stream of steaming water 8) I make sure my customers get their moneys worth. Then I use a Hot Air Gun to dry the laptop I just have to be careful and not melt the system. I have melted a few laptops, but hey its just money.

edit* I almost forget to mention that before I started using the pressure steamer I used the Hot air gun only. Well one day I was blowing the vents out with the hot air gun, and that crazy dust caught on fire and the laptop burned up like a Jimi Hendrix guitar I was like O SNAP!

Ok I am kidding right? But yea, I have had systems that were a few years old be so dusted up that there was no blowing the vents out with a Can O Air. Maybe A pressure steamer, but not a can of air. (these systems came from houses that had inside pets primarily cats)

Post Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:46 am 
Site Admin

FatGuy wrote:
I got a reply from him and apparently its a Comptia thing. So I guess its the answer they want if taking the test.

That is incorrect. CompTIA wants you to use either a "computer" vacuum (i.e. one designed for computer/electronics use), or canned air that is both pure (oil and moisture free) and environmentally sound. Scott.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:56 am 

Oh...Thanks a lot Scott!. I do appreciate you taking the time to answer this.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware