Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: low battery blocks AC boot
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:06 pm 

Solved, sort of.

Used battery to under 5 minutes left. Did some more work; then shut down and took train home.

Powered up. Screen said something about battery being low and to hit F1 to continue. I plugged cable in (I already had but I'd forgotten the next plug).

Multiple reboots showed almost nothing. Screen monotone except 1-2" at top of screen showing vertical stripes and semi-random 2-tone dithering in horizontal tiling. No motion on screen. (I'm vague here about color/B&W because of unrelated display problem coinciding.) A few minutes later, screen goes black with one short beep. Battery LED on; no other LEDs on. I think the computer is already off, so I don't press the power button to turn it off.

Repeated boot attempts. Same results.

Deciding to repair the other problem, I unplug AC power and start dismantling. Notice battery LED is still on. Notice fan/s are on. I think design would have cut fans off when battery's low and AC is off, so fan blowing looks like a symptom. (I might be wrong about that; the Pentium 4 being hot means maybe they'd rather the battery run a fan to the last second.)

Removing battery turns battery LED off.

I plug AC power back in and boot. Boot begins normally. I promptly go into setup. BIOS says both batteries are out (I only own 1 battery for it); that's correct. I slide the battery in. It registers as idle. In a moment, it auto-re-registers as charging, and is at 45% power, says BIOS. I have no idea how it could possibly be at 45%, unless Linux was lying earlier about there being only 5 minutes left (it went from 1 hr 15 min to 0 hr 5 min remaining in an estimated 30-45 min, perhaps because I turned display brighter and was repeatedly browsing and saving to a flash thumb stick drive, although not printing).

I let bootup continue. Normal. The only glitches are in Linux and maybe just in its Gnome desktop environment, I've had those glitches before, and they're minor. I cure them with a warm reboot.

A hour or so later of AC, the battery is at 100%, says Linux. Things are fine since then. Dell Latitude C840. It lives.

Thanks.

--
Nick

Post subject: Re: low battery blocks AC boot
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:32 pm 
Site Admin

You're welcome?

Mike

Post subject: Re: low battery blocks AC boot
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:49 pm 

For a clearer or simpler followup, see: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1759

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware