Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: R61 Pre-loaded SW; Which do you call "Bloatware" and WHY?
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:31 pm 

Tuesday, November 02, 2010

I have been "playing" with reinstalling the full and the custom factory settings for my R61 (or should I call it R500). Now, I know that you (Scott) have recommended keeping the following:

Access Connections
Easy Eject Utility
System Update
Keyboard Customizer Utility
Power Manager
ThinkPad Configuration
Multimedia Center for Think Offerings (Sonic, RecordNow, and DLA)

On my computer, with regard to the above options, the Custom factory setting only allows you to select/deselect the first three (the others do not appear in the list).

Not including the first three mentioned above, here is what appears in the Custom factory settings list (i.e Lenovo Base Software Selector) -- you will notice I have deselected 4 items, which I was sure I would not need...

01. Access Help
02. Acrobat Reader
03. Adobe Flash Player
04. America Online (deselected)
05. Diskeeper Home
06. EarthLink Network (deselected)
07. Google Picasa
08. Help Center for ThinkPad
09. Leader Tech Registration
10. Lenovo Camera Center
11. Maintenance Manager 3.0
12. Message Center for ThinkPad
13. Norton Internet Security (Symantec Corporation) Virus Definition (deselected)
14. Norton Internet Security 2007 (Symantec Corporation) (deselected)
15. PC Doctor for Windows
16. Presentation Director
17. Productivity Center Supplement for ThinkPad
18. Skype Downloader
19. SUN JRE 6.0
20. System Migration Assistant
21. ThinkPad Mobility Center Customization
22. ThinkVantage Productivity Center
23. TVT - Welcome Message Applet
24. Vista OOBE First Run
25. Vista-Lenovo Welcome
26. Vista-OOBE offer
27. Vista-Performance Manager Screen
28. Wallpaper 2007

Also, the following appear in the Start Menu under ThinkVantage (not including what has been mentioned above):

29. Active Protection System
30. Client Security Solution
31. Create Recovery Media (which only permits a FULL factory recovery, as opposed to a Custom factory recovery)
32. Power Manager
33. Rescue and Recovery
34. ThinkVantage Fingerprint Software

Also in the Start Menu but NOT under ThinkVantage (not including what has been mentioned above):

35. Multimedia Center for Think Offerings.

I believe it is possible to uninstall any of the above-mentioned software under Programs in Control Panel, but I would like to be able to prevent certain programs loading in the first place. Once everything is loaded (including Windows) and the first user account (i.e. administrator) is created, I would image the drive so that a reinstall from scratch would be a fairly easy and faster affair of simply reinstalling the image.

Now, I think I understand most of these applications, but are they (the ones excluding those at the top of this message) really NOT useful, and therefore "bloatware"? Last year, I had Norton 360 installed (purchased with my computer) so I did not have a need for Diskeeper. It expired in September, so I have been looking at installing one of the free antivirus products and intend to replace the Windows firewall with another, and perhaps I will need a utility to optomize/defragment my drives (that works better than Windows' own). As for backups, I can pretty well make use of what's in Vista as well as the 2010 version of True Image Home I purchased in the beginning of the year; but what about the rest?

Would you not consider 1-3, 8, 11-12, 15, 17-22, 29-31, and 33-34 important to keep? (I know you consider 32 and 35 important to have.)

Would you not consider 5 (the free verion), 7, 10, and 28 nice to have?

What are 9 (registration with Lenovo?), 12, 16, 19 (SUN Java Runtime Environment), and 23-27 used for? Are any of them important? Are the OOBEs (Out Of the Box Experiences) helpful or useless? How important is the Java Runtime Environment?

Sorry about all the questions, but I would like to understand your reasoning as to what I can do without and, more importantly, why (i.e redundant or ineffectual or degrades the system or creates a security problem, etc.)!

As always, thanks very much in advance!

Post subject: Re: R61 Pre-loaded SW; Which do you call "Bloatware" and WHY
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:17 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I know that you (Scott) have recommended keeping the following:...

Other than what might be classified as drivers (i.e. Power Management driver, UltraNav driver, WebCam driver, Modem driver, etc.), currently I recommend installing/keeping only the following:

Keyboard Customizer Utility
    Power Manager
    Active Protection System
    ThinkPad Configuration

If you have the FingerPrint reader (and you want to use it), then you can install that software too. Since I don't use the reader, I removed the software but left the driver.

Quote:
...I think I understand most of these applications, but are they (the ones excluding those at the top of this message) really NOT useful, and therefore "bloatware"?

Of the numbered items you listed, I would only keep:

02. Acrobat Reader
    03. Adobe Flash Player
    10. Lenovo Camera Center
    19. SUN JRE 6.0
    29. Active Protection System
    *31. Create Recovery Media
    32. Power Manager
    **34. ThinkVantage Fingerprint Software

*Note that the "Create Recovery Media" option is a one-time-use only feature, meaning it will dissapear once you use it (and you should). Using it will create recovery discs that will restore the factory recovery partition on a HDD should you ever replace it or destroy the existing recovery partition. You are only allowed to create one set due to Microsoft licensing restrictions. After you make a set, you can copy them as many times as you feel necessary for backup purposes.

**As I mentioned before, I'd only keep the Fingerprint software if you actually intend on using it.

Note that personally I don't actually "keep" any of these things, because most if not all of them have been updated since the preload was created, meaning you'll want to install the latest versions anway.

Quote:
What are 9 (registration with Lenovo?), 12, 16, 19 (SUN Java Runtime Environment), and 23-27 used for?

Of those, only the Sun Java RE (Runtime Environment) is important, and you'll want to download and install the latest version from Sun anyway (the version in the preload is undoubtedly out of date). The others are an unnecessary waste of both time and space (i.e. bloatware). Scott.

Post subject: Re: R61 Pre-loaded SW; Which do you call "Bloatware" and WHY
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:38 am 

I keep the Latest JRE (Java Runtime Environment) in my tool kit.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware