Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: Toshiba Satellite pro 6100
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:15 pm 

I have a Toshiba Satellite pro 6100 it will start up and run for 30 seconds to 1 min then locks up and I must do a hard shutdown. Sometimes it will boot up again sometimes not.
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais ... ot+boot+up

Post subject: Re: Toshiba Satellite pro 6100
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:58 pm 
Site Admin

When asking about systems from major OEMs...

Without a link to the mfr. support page for that model I can't be more specific, but it sound like either the HDD is failing, memory is failing, one of the power related components (i.e. battery or ac adapter) are failing, or that the system is overheating due to a heatsink separation and/or failure. First try replacing the HDD with a known-good spare. If that doesn't help, then try removing all but one memory module, and if that doesn't help then try replacing the existing module with a known-good spare. Next try running without the battery, then try replacing the AC adapter with a known-good spare. Finally if none of this helps then disassemble the unit to remove and reinstall the processor heatsink, renewing the thermal interface material (i.e. thermal grease) in the process. Let me know how the story ends... Scott.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:05 pm 

The toshiba site is very limited in information about Satellite Pro 6100 issues. http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais ... ot+boot+up This is the only information I was able to find and none of in pertains to my issue. I have tried known good HDD & Ram no change the laptop will not run without battery installed and will only run for a short time even then. A "brand new" not used or refurbished motherboard made no difference. CPU or Battery?

Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:10 pm 
Site Admin

When asking about systems from major OEMs, please provide a link to the mfr. product support page.

Quote:
...the laptop will not run without battery installed and will only run for a short time even then.

That often indicates a defective power supply, which in a laptop includes the AC adapter, battery, and the power supply circuitry built-in to the motherboard. If the problem remains with the battery removed, then that would leave one of the other two power-related items as a potential source of the problem.

Quote:
A "brand new" not used or refurbished motherboard made no difference.

New unfortunately isn't "known-good", but if the board *is* good then that would further narrow the power problem down to the AC Adapter alone. What happens when you replace it with a known-good spare? Also make sure that the CPU and heatsink are properly reinstalled with new thermal interface material.

Quote:
CPU or Battery?

CPUs rarely fail (but that doesn't mean it isn't possible), and you've already eliminated the battery as a source of the problem. If the problem remains after replacing the AC adapter and all of the other components with known-good spares, then try replacing the CPU. Let me know what find, Scott.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:42 pm 

Scott the power charger made all the difference in the world the laptop works like a charm now.
Thank you
Ken

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware