Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: Solid State Hard Drives
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:50 pm 

I am wondering what you think of these new drives. When do you think they will come down to a reasonable price and really be utilized it todays pcs?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:40 am 
Site Admin

They will likely never come close to approaching the speed and low cost of magnetic storage. They are designed for specialized uses (i.e. extremely harsh or punishing environments) where a mechanical mechanism like a hard disk cannot survive.

Bottom line: don't hold your breath... <g> Scott.

Post subject: Re: Solid State Hard Drives
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:53 pm 

I been looking at solid state drives a year after. The only use I see for solid state really is for rugged Notebooks. Some people say it it is faster. But I would guess they would be like Flash drives that tend wear out after so many read and write.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:31 pm 
Site Admin

Well, solid state drives have come a long way. They have finally achieved performance parity with standard drives, however you still have to pay about 20x to 60x more for the same capacity as magnetic drives, and maximum capacities are much less as well. Of course this will improve in the future, and in a year or two they will be much more attractive alternatives for segments of the laptop market where maximum capacity is not a requirement. Scott.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:54 pm 

Well Brining a Old topic to life. It been 2 years after this tread was frist made. SSD drives are now 40gb to 256gb Now. The cost for SSD drive if I did the caculations right is $2.76 per gb on a Intel 80 GB X25M 80gb. Total cost $214.

What do you think of the SSD Tech after a Few years and Pros and Cons for Servers and Notebook or Desktop?

The few things I read up are Faster Boot up and Faster Access Time. But a degrade over time Due to the files not Being Fully Deleted Which slows down the SSD drive.

What should be done on a SSD Other Then Disable Defrag and Set Trim.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:02 pm 

Maybe put them in a RAID array? :)

See these :)

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/charts/20 ... ks,48.html

Post Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:09 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
What should be done on a SSD Other Then Disable Defrag and Set Trim.

Windows 7 automatically disables Defrag and uses the Trim command on supporting drives. However for XP and Vista, you will need to do both of these things manually. In addition, for Trim support under XP/Vista you will need a 3rd party utility, such as the Solid-State Drive Optimizer provided by Intel.

Finally, for XP I recommend disabling the last access time (I do this on all XP systems whether I am using SSDs or not). You don't need to do this under 7/Vista, as the system wide disablelastaccess setting is enabled by default on 7/Vista.

For more information on using or supporting SSDs, I highly recommend the Intel documentation and whitepapers. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware