Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: GATEWAY 5300 LAPTOP CMOS SETUP PASSWORD RECOVERY
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:42 pm 

Dear sir,
I am currently using the laptop above and i presently do not have access to the cmos setup password. i want to change some settings at the cmos setup. i have removed the cmos battery , this doesnt solve the problem. there is no jumber to reset cmos on the laptop. its like the cmos password is stored in the laptop eeprom. pls how can I retrieve the saved password or erased the configured password. Thanks
Olakunle

Post subject: Re: GATEWAY 5300 LAPTOP CMOS SETUP PASSWORD RECOVERY
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:03 pm 
Site Admin

That system has both Supervisor and User/Startup passwords, and in order to recover them, according to the documentation for that system it states:

"The password feature is very secure, with no easy way to recover a forgotten password. If you forget your password, you must return your notebook to Gateway for service. Call Gateway Technical Support for instructions."

Most laptop systems feature Supervisor passwords that are stored in a special "Asset Identification EEPROM" on the motherboard, and which require specialized hardware and software to retrive/rewrite. Other than contacting Gateway, you can contact a password removal service company like Nortek, or you can obtain the hardware and software necessary to do it yourself. Note that those links include hardware, software, and instructions that work with ThinkPads, I have no idea if they will actually work on that Gateway system. Let me know how the story ends... Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware