Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: Laptop hard drive shock sensors
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:21 pm 

Scott, I have a question about a laptop's internal hard drive.
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2010)
250 GB Seagate sata drive Model ST9250315ASG
Disk warrior 4.2 ;Rebuilding was stopped because of error 2351
If the owner of the computer drops the computer and the corner get bent,it stands to reason that the hard drive suffered impact damage. Does the manufacturer of the laptop have the means to determine if the drive failed from impact damage.The reason I ask is because the computer is under a standard limited warranty which doesn't have accidental coverage.My co-workers say the OEM doesn't check the drives and so they will not know what damaged the hdd,so it's ok to order the hdd under warranty.I say,I don't know that for certain, that the OEM does or does not check,and it's not worth the risk just to get a customer's drive covered under warranty. I know it's a gray area having to do with ethics and morality,as well as fraud.I'm just asking if you know if an OEM checks all the hundreds of drives they receive from ASPs

Veowkane

Post subject: Re: Laptop hard drive shock sensors
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:42 pm 

I have enough trouble pulling refund/replace/repairs out of OEM's in the "best" of circumstances!

Can't advise legally, but as this is an Apple PC, mid 2010 makes it dusty, so probably time for another anyway? Don't forget to Kiss you Steve Jobs mug! :lol:

I would look at the cost of a new Laptop Hard drive and replace I don't know how the recovery system works in an apple, but if the disk defect is *after* the Recovery partition, I would expect to be able to recover to factory settings and image the disk across to another.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:01 pm 
Site Admin

Veowkane wrote:
Does the manufacturer of the laptop have the means to determine if the drive failed from impact damage.

The dent in the case should give them a clue. <g> It is also possible that the mfr. has installed an internal shock/impact sensor.

There are other tell-tale signs of large shocks as well. Many if not most modern laptops include accelerometers on the motherboard, which are used to unload the HDD heads when a fall is detected. These can be damaged by excessive shock. For example in the ThinkPad T520 Service manual motherboard replacement section it states:

Important notices for handling the system board:

When handling the system board, bear the following in mind.

• The system board has an accelerometer, which can be broken by applying several thousands of G-forces.

Note: Dropping a system board from a height of as little as 6 inches so that it falls flat on a hard bench can subject the accelerometer to as much as 6,000 G's of shock.

• Be careful not to drop the system board on a bench top that has a hard surface, such as metal, wood, or composite.

Most mfr. warranties will require that the entire system be sent in, which in this case would make the physical damage obvious. At that point they may decline to replace the HDD under warranty. Let me know how the story ends... Scott.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:04 am 

My repair shop is an Apple authorized service provider.We perform all warranty and out of warranty repair here on Apple computers.
I explained to the customer that the hdd was accidentally damaged and that the Apple warranty does not cover accidental damage. I quoted him $74.99 for new 500 GB Hitachi laptop drive and $120.00 for a clean Mac OS 10 reload with data backup/restore.The client approved and was satisfied with the turn around time.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware