Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: Drive spins too fast while playing DVDs
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:29 pm 

Hi Scott,

My DVD drive in my ThinkPad spins really fast all the time while playing DVDs. I've been running it under Ubuntu linux and just letting it spin really fast while I watch a DVD. Lately the player stalls under Ubuntu and won't play it anymore. I've been playing DVDs in Windows without a problem, but I'm afraid I'm going to burn the DVD drive up. There doesn't appear to be any firmware update for this particular DVD drive.

DVD drive specs:

Vendor
Panasonic (www.panasonic.com)
Model
Matshita DVD-RAM UJ-862
Type
CD-ROM
Firmware Revision
RB01
Controller
scsi1

Here's the specs for my particular ThinkPad:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... idate=true

What do you think I should do?

Post subject: Re: Drive spins too fast while playing DVDs
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:25 am 
Site Admin

Normally I'd say check to see if there is a firmware update for the drive, but I don't think there are any updates for that model. Optical drives are one of the most failure prone comonents in a PC, so perhaps it is failing. What happens when you replace it with a known-good spare? However if as you seem to indicate that the drive works fine under Windows but fails under Linux, then that would indicate a problem with the Linux player application and/or drivers. Let me know what you find, Scott.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:13 pm 

I tried running that bootable update software. It said that the drive didn't need any firmware update.

I don't have a spare around to check it with.

That drive has always run fast under Linux or Windows. I wish I knew why it spins so fast. None of the other drives I've had had that problem. It was a refurbished unit. Maybe it was in bad condition when I got it.

When I get a replacement drive I'll let you know how it works. One thing's for sure, I won't be replacing it with another of these models. For now, I'll just view my DVDs under Windows until this drive burns up.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:47 pm 

After a little more digging around I found this page about drive options for the T40p:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... MIGR-50076

I was hoping for a Super Multi drive, but there isn't one listed. I want a drive with the greatest number of compatible formats. From the list on the page above that is probably the Multi-Burner Ultrabay Slim drive. I did a search on eBay for the FRU (92P6110) of that particular type of drive listed on the above page and I came up with this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/IBM-DVDRW-Multi-Bur ... 5191acf0d2

It does just about everything, but it doesn't do dual layers which I can probably live without anyway. I'll let you know how it works playing DVDs when I get it.

The drive I have in there now was advertised on eBay as a Super Multi drive that would do just about every format. I'm guessing it just won't work with those since Lenovo doesn't mention any Super Multi drive working with the T40p.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:45 pm 

Found a work around for Ubuntu.

Start up my favorite movie player. Just let the drive spin as fast as it wants. Go through the menus, start the movie, if you don't want to start the movie from the beginning, forward it to where you want it. Pause it, then at a terminal type in:

# eject -x 12 /dev/dvd

Go back the movie and start playing again. If you put in another DVD, you may have to enter the above line in a terminal again.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:12 pm 

Hey UnLucky Bob. Why are you always so Unlucky?. Anyway when I had my Thinkpad I remember a an option in the bios to change the speed of the DVD drive.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware