Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: New batteries don't last as long as they should
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:48 pm 

Hi Scott-

I just bought some new 9 cell batteries for my ThinkPad T40p. They don't seem to last as long as they should. The guy I bought the T40p from said that those 9 cells should last up to 12 hours, but these are only lasting around 4 hours. The used batteries that came with the system still last 2 hours. Am I supposed to do something to these new batteries once I get them to make them last longer?

Post subject: Re: New batteries don't last as long as they should
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:15 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
The guy I bought the T40p from said that those 9 cells should last up to 12 hours...

Yeah, that's not gonna happen... <g> Lenovo's official specs. for the T40p state that the 9-cell battery should give up to 7 hours of battery life, but that is with all of the power management settings set for maximum power conservation (and absolute minimum performance). Under real-world conditions you can normally expect about half of that, more or less depending on your power settings and how you use the system.

For example, Lenovo specs state that the 9-cell battery in my T520 is rated for 14 hours of life, but I get around 7-8 hours instead, which is just what I expected.

To be sure that your battery is performing properly I would run the Battery Maximizer utility to verify the Full charge and Design capacity of the battery. On a new battery, the Full charge capacity should be about equal to or slightly higher than the Design capacity. As the battery ages, the Full charge capacity will drop. When it reaches about 50% I usually start thinking about purchasing a replacement.

Quote:
Am I supposed to do something to these new batteries once I get them to make them last longer?

If you run on AC power most of the time, you should periodically disconnect and use the battery. Also I recommend running the battery all the way down every month or two as his may not only help battery life, but it will help keep the charge indicator accurate. Lenovo also has some battery life tips for your system here. Scott.

Post subject: Re: New batteries don't last as long as they should
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:09 pm 

I'm a little too busy right now to work with the "battery optimizer" utility right now, but thanks for the link.

Otherwise your link certainly explains what is going on in the behavior of my new battery. Now I know what to expect in the future when buying batteries. In the future I'll run my batteries down once a month like you say so I can expect the charge indicator to be accurate. Thanks.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware