Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: New processor technology=new recommendations??
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:37 pm 

Hi Scott! I know from your previous posts that your laptop recommendations for those on a budget are the Levono SL series laptops. I noticed that these are based on the last gen dual core processors. I was wondering if your recommendations for budget laptops has changed with the new processor technology (i-3, i-5, etc). I am asking this question due to my parents wanting to purchase a laptop. They basically surf the net, watch some video online and dvds, and do some basic word processing and basic spreadsheet. Thanks for the assistance in advance. :)

Post subject: Re: New processor technology=new recommendations??
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:07 am 
Site Admin

You don't need (or want to pay for) the latest processor technology for a bargain system. For example, just last week my brother sent me an email outlining his immediate need for a budget laptop for exactly the same purposes as you describe. I quickly checked my usual sources such as NewEgg and the Lenovo Outlet Store, and saw that the Outlet Store had a brand new ThinkPad SL510 Model 2847-6GU available for only $410(!), with only *one* remaining in stock. Knowing that time was of the essence on a killer deal like that, I immediately called him on the phone and had him place the order on the spot. Seconds later, the system dissapeared from the store. He just got it a few days ago, and is currently waiting for me to "upgrade" it from Windows 7 to XP. <g>

Bottom line: Both the SL series and R series have been officially discontinued, but if you can find any available they are excellent bargain systems. For example, NewEgg still has some SL series systems in stock at some very good prices.

If you can't find any of those, then I'd recommend looking for bargains in the the L or T series models. Let me know what you end up choosing, Scott.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:39 am 

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post on this holiday weekend, Scott!

I saw two models on newegg which I was trying to choose between

NewEgg Comparison

As you can see IdeaPad has the new processor technology but it is about $100 less than the lowest priced SL model I could find on NewEgg. The only major factors I see the SL being superior in is likely the build and that it has a gigabit LAN connection. I'm just not sure if my parents will need the gigabit connection since they are not going to be downloading any huge files overall. All they do is download pics off their camera and maybe stream a video or two. I would appreciate your feedback. Thanks again for your time.

P.S. I tried to embed the link to say "NewEgg Comparison" but even after following your BBCode FAQ, could not get it to work. :oops:

[Scott]Your link was missing the "?" after ".aspx", but the bigger problem is that the forum software apparently can't handle the "^" character in a link. The solution is to replace those characters with "%5E" (^ = 5E in hex). Link fixed.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:32 am 
Site Admin

IdeaPads are *not* ThinkPads, and do not fall under my recommendations. They have glossy screens (unacceptable - a deal breaker in fact), no TrackPoint, use different (incompatible) AC adapters, and aren't built to the same standards. It's ThinkPad or NOpad! <g> Scott.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:45 am 

That URL syntax looks correct, I wonder what fails it???!

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:02 am 

Scott,

I will go for the SL Thinkpad as you have advised. I was leaning that way myself but just wanted to hear what you had to say. Thank you again for taking time and answering my questions. Have a great 4th of July! :D

@David

Yeah I didn't think I did anything wrong...maybe just a glitch today.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:12 am 

Just an update on what I purchased for my parents.

Thinkpad purchase

Thanks again for all the input!

Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:21 am 
Site Admin

Excellent choice, and you got a very good deal. I'd recommend that exact system to anybody looking for a great all-around laptop at an affordable price. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware