Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: Revisiting FDEs: How do you know if your FDE is working?
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:57 pm 

Scott,

Previously, I was asking about computer security and encryption, where the subject of FDEs (i.e. Fixed Disk Encryption) was mentioned. When I originally purchased my R61, I chose FDE hard drive as one of the options. At the time, I actually did not know what FDE stood for, but figured it must be something special since no other drive options had this esignation. Now that I know what it stands for, if the drive does its thing transparently to the user, how do you actually know that it is working correctly? Also, is this the facility that protects the drive's contents from being accessed even if the drive is removed and installed in another computer?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Revisiting FDEs: How do you know if your FDE is working?
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:35 am 
Site Admin

Accessing the drive depends on entering the proper password as well as having the drive installed in the original system. To verify whether it is working or not, you would try to access the drive without entering the HDD password at boot. If that fails, then the encryption is working. Another test would be to install the drive in another system to see if you can access it there. For more information on FDE in ThinkPad systems see the Lenovo FDE FAQ. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware