Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: Using Surge Protectors
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:52 am 

Do you recommend using surge protectors instead of connecting directly to a wall outlet to prevent damage to the battery or other components during normal everyday use?

Evan

Post subject: Re: Using Surge Protectors
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:08 pm 
Site Admin

Most of the surge protection built in to things like power strips are relatively ineffective, for example they haven't protected my equipment when a *real* surge (i.e. lightning strike) has occurred. For a laptop I wouldn't worry much about surges, since in most cases if it is plugged in only the AC adapter will be lost (even when the AC adapter is plugged into a surge supressor). For example, during my last lightning strike incident several AC adapters were destroyed, but the components they were plugged into survived with no damage.

Most desktop system PSUs have surge protection built-in, and that in the higher end PSUs is better than what comes in typical power strips. If you do use one, make sure it is UL 1449 certified at a minimum. Scott.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:02 pm 

Quote:
Most of the surge protection built in to things like power strips are relatively ineffective, for example they haven't protected my equipment when a *real* surge (i.e. lightning strike) has occurred. For a laptop I wouldn't worry much about surges, since in most cases if it is plugged in only the AC adapter will be lost (even when the AC adapter is plugged into a surge supressor).
If the surge is strong enough (i.e. lightning strike), could it go beyond destroying the AC adapter and do damage to the battery or would it go past the battery and harm other components?

I am asking because I overheard someone explaining that a laptop should *always* be plugged into a surge protector because any fluctuations in power could "kill" the battery. They even said everyday fluctuations, such as the air conditioner or furnace starting, could do damage even though the adapter is designed to handle the variance.

Evan

Post Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:54 pm 
Site Admin

In my experience the AC adapter will be destroyed and protect the laptop in the process. I've never seen or heard of any instances of batteries being damaged during lightning strike induced surges, but laptop batteries are a consumable anyway.

Clearly though, what you overheard about a surge protector preventing battery damage from "everyday fluctuations" is completely bogus. It seems as if they think that a surge protector functions like a line conditioner or UPS, which isn't the case.

Bottom line: If any of my laptops are ever plugged into a "surge protector", it is only by accident. When I use a power strip, I use whatever happens to be on-hand. <g> Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware