Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: eSATA express card usage questions
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:16 pm 

Hi Scott,

I have a Startech eSATA express card http://www.startech.com/Cards-Adapters/ ... CESATA254F and find that using it is somewhat complicated. If I plug it into the computer (ThinkPad T400) with no drive attached, nothing happens. But if I then eject it and attach a drive via eSATA then reinsert it, It is recognized OK and the drive shows in My computer.

What is the best way to use these ad on cards. This particular card is flush mount so it would be nice to leave it inserted all the time but then when I attach a drive it is not always recognized and when I want to unplug a drive I select the Eject option which then tells me to eject the card and not the drive itself. The silicon image device can now be safely removed from the device. If I don't eject it can I still used it again.

I'm getting a little confused by the usage , by comparison using USB connections are so much more intuitive albeit slower.

Any tips on correct usage of these express cards with external drives?

Thanks!
-Paul

Post subject: Re: eSATA express card usage questions
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:32 am 
Site Admin

All I can say is that it shouldn't work that way. It sounds like either the card is defective or that the card and/or drivers are simply buggy and/or poorly designed. You could try a different card using the same (Silicon Image SI3132) chipset, however from what I see they haven't updated their Windows drivers in quite a while, and I have heard of others having problems in various systems. A better alternative might be to try a card using a different chipset such as the Marvell 88SE9128, for which they have much more updated drivers. Let me know what happens when you try different cards, using either the same or (preferrably) different chipsets and updated drivers. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware