Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: Connecting a ThinkPad to a TV with RCA Input Sockets
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:44 pm 

Scott,

I would like to connect my ThinkPad to an older Panasonic TV (i.e. older in terms that it is a large CRT model) that has an S-Video IN, 3 RCA IN (i.e. Yellow (Video), White (Left Audio), Red (Right Audio)), and a headphone jack all located behind an access flap on the front of the TV. I googled for a VGA to RCA cable and, based upon some reviews people have made, I am in a state of confusion about this situation.

It seems that some of the people purchased the wrong set of cables (i.e. getting VGA to RCA (female) which I guess means the cable is supposed to carry signals in to the computer from another device rather than VGA to RCA (male) which would carry signals out of the computer in to the other device). Also, there is some sort of external VGA to RCA and S-Video Converter Box adapter that acts as a go-between for the computer and the TV. Here is the link to such a device that I found on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.ca/VGA-RCA-S-Video-Co ... B003ZA7Q7C

The adapter seems to get better reviews than the cable, but I am wondering if it's really just a situation of people getting the wrong type of cable. The adapter is also a lot more expensive than the cable. Have you had any experience with this? Is the adapter really that much better than the VGA to RCA/S-Video (male) cable, or is the cable just as good? With respect to the audio, I suppose I would also need a cable that has the 1/8th inch male end running from my earphone jack on the computer to the other end of the cable that divides between two RCA (male) plugs that I'd connect into the appropriate ports on the TV.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

TIA!

Post subject: Re: Connecting a ThinkPad to a TV with RCA Input Sockets
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:49 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I would like to connect my ThinkPad to an older Panasonic TV...

What ThinkPad? (please include a link)

Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:52 pm 

Oops!

My system is a Lenovo ThinkPad R61, 8932-CTO running Vista Ultimate (32-bit) with 4GB of RAM...

I am sorry that I neglected to include this in my original post.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:03 am 
Site Admin

Scott wrote:
What ThinkPad? (please include a link)
Paul wrote:
My system is a Lenovo ThinkPad R61, 8932-CTO running Vista Ultimate (32-bit) with 4GB of RAM...

So, no link for me? <g> I was expecting a link to the system specifications. From there you would see a link to download the Hardware Maintenance Manual, where on page 114 you'll see a rear view diagram showing that the system includes an S-video out on the back panel. Here's a picture of the rear and right side I found on NewEgg:

Quote:
I would like to connect my ThinkPad to an older Panasonic TV (i.e. older in terms that it is a large CRT model) that has an S-Video IN...

In that case you could use an S-Video cable to connect the S-Video out on the ThinkPad to the S-Video in on the TV. If you wanted to connect audio as well, you could use a 3.5mm Stereo Male to 2 RCA Male cable. You could also use a combo S-Video and 3.5mm Stereo Male to 3 RCA Male (A/V) cable as a bundled solution. In that case you might lose a slight bit of video quality going from S-Video to RCA composite, but I don't think it would be noticeable. Scott.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:49 am 

Scott,

It seems that the S-Video cable was the best solution for my laptop. Thank you! I had not even thought there was such a simple solution. When I originally bought the laptop, I had checked out all of the features it had, noting the S-Video port at the back, which the quick reference guide included showed. In over 4 years of use, I had never had a need for connecting the laptop to my television set, totally forgetting about the connection at the back.

I would like to revisit my original question, however, and here is why. I have another computer (an Acer Acros desktop) which I use as a backup computer. It does not have an S-Video port. I also have a mid-tower Asus TX97-E which also came without an S-Video port (also an inherited Asus MEW-AML).

Don't have any information on the Acer Acros, except that it has a 100MHz Pentium CPU and 64MB of SDRAM in 4 banks.. sorry.

Asus TX97-E User's Manual:
http://www.motherboards.org/files/manua ... 7e-104.pdf

Asus MEW-AML User's Manual:
http://www.motherboards.org/files/manua ... ml-101.pdf

If the laptop is occupied with a long task (e.g. a full virus scan) or unuseable for some other reason, I would like to be able to use one of the other computers to connect to my television set. I should mention that I'm thinking of outputing pictures or home movies from my computer to the television set. Thus, in this case, which option (VGA-to-RCA cable_or_ VGA to adapter box) would resolve this issue satisfactorily?

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Post Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:25 pm 
Site Admin

To connect a PC with only VGA output to a TV that has only composite or S-video input you would use a VGA to RCA/S-Video converter. Note as with the S-Video solution I described earlier, you would need a separate cable for the audio. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware