Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: USB 3.0 Cables and Hubs with USB 2.0 Devices
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:32 pm 

Scott,

Is there any increase in performance if using USB 2.0 devices (eg. flash drives, hard disk drives, etc.) with USB 3.0 cables/hubs, or is the situation the same as it was for USB 1.x devices with USB 2.0 cables/hubs (i.e. the slower devices acting as a sort of bottleneck in allowing faster devices to take advantage of the increased performance of USB 2.0)? Essentially, I am wondering if I were to purchase a USB 3.0 adapter (for a ThinkPad R61/8932-CTO), would I need to purchase USB 3.0 devices in order to take advantage of the claimed increase in performance? (If this is the case, it might make more sense to wait until I'm ready to purchase a new computer with it (USB 3.0) already included, as I don't really have a pressing need for any more devices right now... I'm just curious about the situation with USB 3.0.)

TIA!

Post subject: Re: USB 3.0 Cables and Hubs with USB 2.0 Devices
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:44 pm 
Site Admin

Using a USB 3.0 adapter would have no effect on the performance of USB 2.0 devices, which would continue to run at USB 2.0 speeds. Because of that, if you don't have USB 3.0 devices right now then I would recommend waiting until you do have USB 3.0 capable devices before purchasing a USB 3.0 adapter or upgrading to a laptop with USB 3.0 built-in. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware