Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: T40p Processor Upgrade
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:26 pm 

Hi Scott-

I am thinking about a processor upgrade for the following machine:

ThinkPad T40p (2373-G5U)
Operating System:Windows 7 32bit
P M 1.6GHz, 2GB RAM, 40GB 7200rpm HDD, 14.1 SXGA+(1400x1050) TFT LCD, 64MB ATI Fire GL 9000, SuperMulti Drive DVD(slim), Modem/Bluetooth, 1Gb Ether, 802.11a/b/g , Sec Chip, UltraNav, 9 cell Batt

Some results from CPU-Z:

CPU-Z TXT Report
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Binaries

CPU-Z version 1.59

Processors

Number of processors 1
Number of threads 1

APICs
Processor 0
-- Core 0
-- Thread 0 0

Processors Information

Processor 1 ID = 0
Number of cores 1 (max 1)
Number of threads 1 (max 1)
Name Intel Pentium M
Codename Banias
Specification Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1600MHz
Package (platform ID) Socket 479 mPGA (0x5)
CPUID 6.9.5
Extended CPUID 6.9
Brand ID 22
Core Stepping B1
Technology 0.13 um
Core Speed 793.1 MHz
Multiplier x FSB 6.0 x 132.2 MHz
Rated Bus speed 528.7 MHz
Stock frequency 1600 MHz
Instructions sets MMX, SSE, SSE2
L1 Data cache 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L1 Instruction cache 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L2 cache 1024 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
FID/VID Control yes
FID range 6.0x - 16.0x
Max VID 1.484 V
# of P-States 0

Chipset

Northbridge Intel i855PM rev. A3
Southbridge Intel 82801DB (ICH4-M) rev. 01
Graphic Interface AGP
AGP Revision 2.0
AGP Transfer Rate 4x
AGP SBA supported, enabled
Memory Type DDR
Memory Size 2048 MBytes
Memory Frequency 176.2 MHz (3:4)
CAS# latency (CL) 2.5
RAS# to CAS# delay (tRCD) 3
RAS# Precharge (tRP) 3
Cycle Time (tRAS) 6

I haven't read "Upgrading and Repairing Laptops" yet, I'm waiting for the new edition to come out. I heard one was coming out in February. But on page 122 of "Upgrading and Repairing PCs", 20th edition you go over processor upgrades. From CPU-Z I found out the following:

Processor Socket:
Socket 479 mPGA.
BIOS Version:
1RETDRWW (3.23 ) 06/18/2007

From Lenovo's website:

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail. ... MIGR-46258

I downloaded the README on the BIOS and I found out that it is the latest BIOS.

I couldn't figure out what the system board bus speed was from the Lenovo site, but I got from a vendor site that it's 400MHz.

On page 123 of the 20th edition you mention that voltage regulators and voltage setting are important too. There are no voltage settings in the BIOS setup so I guess that's not important. I couldn't come up with anything on the voltage regulators on the Lenovo site. Should I be concerned?

Reading through the above README I discovered that one of the previous BIOS updates was for Pentium M processor support. So I am guessing for the moment that the fastest Pentium M processor is the best I can do.

According to this website:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_In ... processors

the fastest processor available that will fit the socket is the Pentium M 780 which is a "Dothan" core.

This site:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socket_479

says that the "Dothan" core will work with my chipset even though the FSB is high (533MT/s) though I still haven't found anything on the Lenovo site that says the motherboard will support it.

Am I proceeding correctly? Should I go ahead and get the Pentium M 780 processor?

Sorry this thread is so long.

Post subject: Re: T40p Processor Upgrade
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:18 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I am thinking about a processor upgrade for the following machine: ThinkPad T40p (2373-G5U)... I couldn't figure out what the system board bus speed was from the Lenovo site, but I got from a vendor site that it's 400MHz.

I've upgraded processors in many laptops, including several ThinkPads of that vintage. You'll find detailed specifications for that specific system on p. 53 of the Personal Systems Reference IBM ThinkPad Notebooks A, T, X, and G Series 2000 to 2005 - withdrawn. There you'll see confirmation of the 400MHz FSB.

Quote:
Name Intel Pentium M
Codename Banias
Specification Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1600MHz

Here is a link with detailed specifications for the processor currently in that system: Intel Pentium M Processor 1.60 GHz, 1M Cache, 400 MHz FSB

Quote:
On page 123 of the 20th edition you mention that voltage regulators and voltage setting are important too. There are no voltage settings in the BIOS setup so I guess that's not important. I couldn't come up with anything on the voltage regulators on the Lenovo site. Should I be concerned?

Except for some "pinmod" tricks, the voltage setting is automatic and non-adjustable in virtually all laptops. If you install a compatible processor, it will simply work. If not... <g>

Quote:
Should I go ahead and get the Pentium M 780 processor?

Only if you want a paperweight. <g> OK here's the deal: Processor upgrades are fairly restrictive in general, and even more so in laptops. Unless you know for sure a certain processor is supported (such that it was available on a related model laptop using the same motherboard), then upgrading can be somewhat of a gamble. In most laptops you cannot change bus speeds or voltages (there are a few "pinmod" tricks, but they won't help with systems that only support Banias processors), and unless you know the motherboard and BIOS specifically supports a given processor core (die) family, you will only be able to install processors using the same core as the original. Your existing CPU has a Banias core, which will limit your selection to the following: http://ark.intel.com/products/series/28385

Of those choices, only ones that match the voltage of your existing CPU will work, which eliminates all of the "LV" or "ULV" choices. Of those that are left the following 1.7GHz model is the only faster CPU that will (most likely) work in your system: Intel Pentium M Processor 1.70 GHz, 1M Cache, 400 MHz FSB Note that the sSpec for that CPU is SL6N5, which can be used to uniquely identify it on sight.

I say that it will "most likely" work because since no T40p was ever offered by IBM/Lenovo with that processor, there is some chance that the BIOS may not support it, or that some other factor may cause it not to work. However, in this case I am nearly 100% sure that it *will* work because I have personally upgraded several similar vintage R40 systems from 1.5GHz Pentium M (Banias) to that very same 1.7GHz processor, all with great success. Note that I did actually try installing a Dothan core processor (I even used a 400MHz FSB version) in one of those systems, and the system wouldn't function at all. No damage was done, the system simply wouldn't work in any way with the Dothan chip installed, but it functioned perfectly when the Banias chip was reinstalled.

Bottom line: I'm just about certain you can upgrade that laptop from a 1.6GHz Pentium M to a 1.7GHz Pentium M. While that is only about a 5% increase in speed, there are several available on eBay for under $10 including shipping. For that price I'd say go for it.

But if you want to *noticeably* increase the overall speed of that (or any other) laptop, in addition to the slightly faster processor (and considering that you've already installed the maximum 2GB of RAM supported by that system) I'd recommend a faster hard drive. Unfortunately that will cost quite a bit more, especially now due to the flooding in Taiwan... Scott.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:22 pm 

Thanks for all those good links and those specification pdf for the T40p specific to my motherboard. I will look into studying that "pinmod" stuff later as it doesn't seem to apply to this particular upgrade.

I think I am going to take a gamble. I've seen a few websites about people who upgraded their T4x series ThinkPads to Dothans.

Most of these people are under the impression that they can use just any Pentium M Dothan core and it will work because they've read about someone else doing it with a T4x series and it worked. But according to what you're telling me you can't count on it necessarily. From the sites I've read I've seen people have success with the 755 and 765. I haven't seen anyone upgrading to the 770 or 780.

Some I've read say that you need to update the BIOS to get them to work. I have the latest BIOS so I've got that base covered.

If I didn't know I was taking a gamble here I probably would have shelled out $80 for a 780 and it might not have worked. I see 765s going for $17 on eBay and I think I'll take a gamble with one of those unless you have something very discouraging to say about it. I'll post the results here, although I doubt there will be many people who are looking to upgrade a T40p with a 2373G5U motherboard that will be able to take advantage of the information.

I will probably take your advice on that hard drive later when the prices come back down again. Thanks.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:19 pm 
Site Admin

If you do try a Dothan make sure you pick one with a 400MHz FSB. If you pick one with a 533MHz FSB, if it works at all it will run slower than what you already have, since the FSB is fixed at 400MHz in that system. A 400MHz FSB Dothan *might* work since I see that the same BIOS as used in your system was also used in later models that did support the Dothan. The R40 systems I experimented with were not as fortunate. <g> In any case, let me know how it turns out. Scott.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:12 pm 

Good thing you told me. Those 400MHz models are a little more expensive. I may be waiting a while before I come across one for the right price. When I get one I'll post the results here. Thanks.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware