Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: Restore to Lenovo factory Installation from other Installati
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:59 pm 

I recently bought a ThinkPad Edge 420. I paid Windows Reloaded to install their optimized installation of Win7 for me. They tole me that they didn't do anything to the hidden service partition. I've looked at the partition table with "gparted" and there is still a partition called "Lenovo_Recovery".

Their installation doesn't have all the Lenovo diagnostic software installed.

I am reselling the system and I would like to restore it to the initial factory Win7 installation with all the Lenovo diagnostic software installed. The system is still under it's original factory warranty. Should the buyer ever have any problems with the system, he will need the Lenovo diagnostics to work things out with Lenovo.

I don't have any recovery CDs. None came with the system.

After I bought it I installed Ubuntu to it as a Win7-Ubuntu dual-boot system. To prepare it to be resold I restored it to a single-boot Win7 system. In the process of restoring it to a single-boot Win7 system the MBR was rewritten. (I don't know if that matters, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.)

I've read that to boot into the recovery partition you press F11 while booting. The system just boots normally in that case. It did so before I restored it to a single-boot system as well.

I would like to reinstall the operating system using the hidden service partition.

Is this possible and if so, can you tell me how to do it?

Post subject: Re: Restore to Lenovo factory Installation from other Instal
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:54 pm 
Site Admin

When asking about systems from major OEMs please post a link to the mfr. support page for the system. From there you should be able to find the "User Guides and Manuals" for the system. If you check the User manual (please post a link to it), you will find the Recovery instructions in Chapter 5.

However I would recommend against completely reloading the system with the out-of-date un-optimized load contained in the service partition, when instead you could simply download and install the Memory and Hard drive "quick test" diagnostics for the system from the Lenovo site. In addition, the full Lenovo diagnostics packages (more substantive than the "quick tests") are supplied in downloadable versions that install on either a self-booting USB flash drive or DVD, such that none of the diagnostics needs to be installed on the hard drive. Using the self-booting diagnostics is always recommended over programs that run under a potentially corrupted or malware infested copy of Windows. In addition, with the self-booting diagnostics you can fully test the hardware in a system with no OS installed. Scott.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:57 pm 

Sorry about not including that link.

I'd appreciate it very much if you could help me restore the system to it's original factory state if it's at all possible. The system is already sold and it was advertised as being in the original factory state. I realize that wasn't wise now. I saw that the recovery partition was still there before I wrote the ad and I figured it would work easily enough(ha ha).

I'm sure this optimized installation based on your book is much better than the factory installation. Not having read the book yet, though, I'm sure I'm not prepared to answer any questions about it. I have no idea of knowing how computer savy the buyer is or even if he would appreciate such an installation.

I really don't want to be in the situation of having to offer the buyer any support. I don't want to be in the situation of having to explain to the buyer how to make a self-booting flash drive, or why the desktop doesn't look like the factory installed desktop, how to use the malware programs, etc. It would be a load off my mind if I could just let Lenovo take care of supporting it.

After a few quick searches on google I found myself on this page:

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/?menu-i ... f-id=learn

I used their "quick path" link. On the bottom of the system I found the product id(0578-N6U). I entered it in the field in the browser. From there I navigated around until I found the page where the user manual for the E420 can be downloaded:

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/guides- ... fault.page?

I tried using the Rescue and Recovery Workspace as described on page 72. The instructions suggest pressing F11 while booting. It had no effect. The system simply booted into Windows as it normally would.

If the system fails to open the "Rescue and Recovery Workspace", the instructions recommend seeing "Solving recovery problems" on page 75. Page 75 recommends using a rescue medium to start the Rescue and Recovery workspace. They recommend seeing "Using a rescue medium" on page 73.

I went to the previous section on page 73, "Creating a rescue medium", since I don't have a rescue medium. According to the manual I need something called "Rescue and Recovery" installed on my computer to make a rescue medium. So I looked into installing Rescue and Recovery.

The following website I got from the Lenovo support page for my particular product:

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail. ... IGR-4Q2QAK

I was instructed to download and install Rescue and Recovery 4.50(tvtvnr450_025en.exe), Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package (x64) SP1(vcredist_x64.exe), and Sysprepbackup accessory package(rnr_sysprep_patch.msi).

While installing Rescue and Recovery 4.50 an error message appeared:

"Error 25014. There was an error installing the Rescue and Recovery boot manager. Return code: 6."

Another window announced that it was "rolling back action".

Finally a window prompting me to press a "Finish" button to finish the installation announced:

"The wizard was interrupted before installation could complete. Your system has not been modified. To complete installation at another time, please run setup again."

I tried installing the other packages first, then installing Rescue and Recovery 4.50 and got the same results. I also tried rebooting and trying the installation again, and got the same results again.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:06 pm 
Site Admin

The Rescue and Recovery software is only designed to restore backups that you create, so it won't help with a factory recovery. You can see the Lenovo product recovery instructions here. Unfortunately if the F11 recovery won't work, then you'll need to use either a proactively created Recovery Repair diskette or recovery media to restore the system. The bad news is the "proactively created" part, which means that if you haven't already created the media when you encounter a problem, you can't create it now. In that case the fail-safe option would be to purchase a recovery CD or DVD from Lenovo. The last time I did this they were about $40 for a set.

I haven't tested it, but somebody created a bootable CD version of the Recovery Repair diskette here. You might try the Vista version listed on that page to see if it will restore the F11 functionality. Scott.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:27 pm 

Is this where the full Lenovo diagnostic package (bootable) download is located?

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail. ... DIAGS#boot

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:33 pm 
Site Admin

Yes indeed, that's it. Scott.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:55 pm 

That bootable CD didn't work, but it didn't ruin the MBR either.

I talked to the buyer and he was willing to keep the optimised installation. The people at Windows Reloaded were also gracious enough to offer to field any questions the buyer might have about it. I burned a copy of the Lenovo diagnostics CD and included that with the system. Now he's got support for everything. He's a lot better off now I think. Thanks Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware