Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: Building My First High Performance Laptop Computer
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:27 pm 

Scott,

The desktop we've built (through you much respected advice) is still running excellent and performs very well. I thought I would research how to build my own laptop and began searching the Web for laptop computer shells, but only came up top laptop manufacture's shells. Can you please direct my to specific information on your forum on how to build you own laptop or where to by the shells without Apple or HP's name on them?

Thanks,
DLH

Post subject: Re: Building My First High Performance Laptop Computer
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:13 am 
Site Admin

Unfortunately the only components in a laptop using industry standard form factors and interconnections are processors, RAM, storage drives, and wireless cards. Things like cases, motherboards, displays and keyboards are proprietary. Because of this you can't really build a complete laptop from scratch.

What I recommend instead is to start with a base ThinkPad model having the features you want, then upgrade the RAM, HDD, and possibly the wireless. I've also upgraded processors, but due to the cost that was more of an experimental rather than a practical upgrade. Because of the high cost of laptop processors, on a new system it is cheaper to get the base system with the processor you want than to purchase it separately.

I have replaced and/or upgraded both the HDD and RAM in virtually all of the ThinkPads I've purchased, when they were brand new and before I even started using them. In that case you will end up with a laptop having the ThinkPad name, which is much better than Apple, HP, or any other. <g> Scott.

Post subject: Re: Building My First High Performance Laptop Computer
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:49 pm 

Once again, thank you Scott for a very thorough answer to my inquiry.

DLH

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware