Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: Handling 2.5 inch laptop hard drives
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:06 am 

Scott , I have a question regarding the handling of hard drives. I tell my staff to handle the 2.5 inch hdds by the sides.Never hold them between the top and bottom ,as that introduces the possibility of squeezing and damaging the platters.
One of my staff said to me that it would be rare for something like that to happen, and therefore it's ok to hold them from the top and bottom. Also,that static electricity damaging something is very rare too and it isn't necessary to protect components as much as I say.
These people are college students that work in my Computer repair shop as part time help. They are good workers and they do good work for us. But ,in my opinion ,they have holes in their technician education and knowledge that sometimes doesn't meet my standards.
Scott what do you think.Am I being too picky.?
Thank you

Post subject: Re: Handling 2.5 inch laptop hard drives
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:57 pm 
Site Admin

I don't think you are being too picky at all, that is exactly how I handle them as well. Many HDDs used to have labels specifically warning not to press on the covers, and as the covers (and drives) have become thinner over time I think avoiding putting any pressure on them is even more important today. Also one should avoid touching the logic board, not only to avoid ESD damage but also to prevent getting oils and contaminants from the hands on them. These days I often wear latex or vinyl gloves while building PCs in order to avoid getting fingerprints and/or contaminants on components. While actual damage may be rare, it is easy to prevent with proper handling, which is something that I teach to all of my students. Scott.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:32 pm 

Thanks,Scott. I'll let my guys know that using good safe practices is better ,than the lax standards they are using. I think I'll work on getting some kind of required reading for ESD protection and safe handling of electronic,that my students will need to read ,understand and accept ,before I'll let them do hardware repairs.
I just purchased a Kindle fire. One of the reasons I got the KF is because I found out that The URPC 20th edition is available as a Kindle version. Are any of your other books available for the Kindle ?
Nevermind , I found that you have Kindle versions of UR MS Windows and UR Servers
Veowkane

Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:07 pm 

We have a guy here who proved this a valid concern. He pulled the drive out of a Lenovo, and was holding it in one hand while he picked up the laptop with the other. It slipped, and apparently his HD holding hand squeezed sympathetically, and you could hear the platters scrape to a halt.
It's dead now. A memorial service will be held in the Accounting breakroom this evening.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:14 pm 

LOL spacer That quite funny. It shows the guy dose not hold the hard drive right way and damage the hard drive while doing something stupid.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:54 am 

Yes. One should always practice juggling with something less expensive and prone to damage first... 8)

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware