Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: USB Webcam with Software Controlled Focus
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:54 pm 

Hi Scott,

I do my own work on my car and computer and as you have recommended it I have found that it can be really handy to take pictures. With pictures I've found it can be so much easier to put something back together.

Presently I am taking pictures with a digital camera.

Digital cameras often don't take good pictures up close with an automatic focus. They often focus on an object that is near the subject of the picture, but not the actual subject of the picture itself. The display on the camera is so small I often can't tell if the subject is in focus. So when I actually press the shutter button, I really don't know if the subject is going to be in focus.

In this situation I usually take several pictures because I can't tell exactly if the picture is any good. Then I upload the pictures to my laptop. Once I have a large picture on the laptop screen, I can really tell if it is good or not. Sometimes if none of the pictures have come out well, I go back and take more pictures.

I would like to get together a better setup for taking pictures. I thought a USB webcam setup with a software controlled focus and shutter would work better. The webcam could be attached to the end of something like these led desklamps on eBay with a clamp on the opposite end.

With such a setup it would be a total WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) situation. I could clamp the flexible arm of the mount somewhere near the subject. I could then adjust the field of view by moving the camera on the end of the flexible arm. Then I could focus it with the software controlled focus. Then when the picture is exactly as I see it onscreen, I could take a snapshot of the picture with the software. This would be much easier and faster than reiteritively snapping shots and uploading them from a digital camera.

Currently I don't even know if such a USB "software controlled focus and shutter" webcam even exists, but I thought if there was such a thing you might know about it. Is there some kind of standard name for such a camera? And is there some kind of standardized way to control the focus on such a camera? If there is I can probably find something in Ubuntu that will make it work. Also, is there any type of software you recommend for controlling such a webcam?

Post subject: Re: USB Webcam with Software Controlled Focus
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:08 am 
Site Admin

Most if not all webcams are either fixed focus or autofocus, with no way to control the focus manually. Your problem would best be solved by using a better camera, either a newer and better "point and shoot" or a DSLR type that has manual focus and aperture capability. Scott.

PS: From '81-'85 I was ASE Certified with "Master Technician status": http://www.ase.com/Tests/ASE-Certificat ... tatus.aspx

I've done all of my own mechanical work ever since, including everything from oil changes to building engines...

Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:28 pm 

I guess I can post my problems working on my vehicles here too. (Just kidding)

I'm going to continue looking around. I really like the idea of having the file
right on the computer the moment you take it. I'm going to look into security cameras as well.

I'll post what I come up with. Thanks.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:33 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I really like the idea of having the file right on the computer the moment you take it.

That can be accomplished by using an Eye-Fi memory card in the camera. Scott.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:47 pm 

That's great! I can use that in conjunction with my repeater! Ha! Thanks.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware