Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: Compaq Presario boot up problem
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:22 pm 

Compaq Presario V6000 p/n RG299UA, AMD Turion.64X2 Mobile technology Designed for Windows XP, Windows Vista Compatible. Power on sequence omits request for Administrator password. Windows XP logo comes up with timer bar active. sequence ends with normal background image, a working cursor, no program icons and the following error message: "Isass.exe Application Error - The application failed to initialize properly (0x0000006). Click on OK to terminate the application."

Started up, pressed F10 and scrolled to "PhoenixBIOS Setup Utility - Diagnostics
Primary Hard Disk Self Test" Ran test.

"Hard Disk Self Test [Enter] Run the quick and
Estimated test time: 65 minutes Comprehensive test.

Test Status:(Quick)
Test Executing: Test Status: #1- 07 Fail

The hard disk is a Seagate Momentus 5400 2, 100 GB Serial AT

Question: Is this confirmation of a hard disk failure or could there be something else going on?
This is an old laptop that I'd like to repair so my grandkids can use it primarily for internet access and games. When fixed I'll load it with a free open source operating system........any recommendations would be appreciated. I have no interest in recovering any of the files on the hard drive should it need to be replaced.

Post subject: Re: Compaq Presario boot up problem
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:47 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Is this confirmation of a hard disk failure or could there be something else going on?

While there could be other problem(s), the failure of that diagnostic does indicate that the HDD is failing at a minimum. Start by replacing the HDD and then re-test to see if there are any other problems. Most likely it is only the HDD that has failed. After replacing the HDD you might also check for and install an updated BIOS (if available).

I'd reload good old (tried and true) XP on it if it were mine, but if you want a free open-source OS you might try the Ubuntu distribution of Linux. Let me know how things turn out... Scott.

PS: Welcome to the forum!

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware