Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: New screen, then inverter, still no picture.
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:41 pm 

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/prod ... g=en&cc=au

This laptop came to me with a very badly cracked screen. It was booting up OK with an external monitor. I sourced a replacement screen on ebay (said to be specifically suitable to the HP-DV5-1138tx). Still no picture on screen, but with an external monitor it was fine. To ebay again for an inverter which carries the correct HP part number. Now I have no display on the screen or the external monitor, though all lights come on and HDD light goes through a suitable booting time period. The laptop has had very little use, as the screen broke a matter of months after buying and I hope I haven't done more damage??

Post subject: Re: New screen, then inverter, still no picture.
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:39 am 
Site Admin

Make sure you press the display function key to enable the external video output. Note also there are two video outs, VGA and HDMI. I would try connecting displays to both of them. If that doesn't help, then try undoing any changes you made (i.e. new inverter, display, etc.) to restore at least the external display functionality. If you cannot do that, then a motherboard replacement would have to be considered.

Assuming you can restore external display functionality, then you would need to either start over with another replacement internal display, or use the system as-is with an external display only. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware