Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: HP Pavilion dv9000 nvidia problem
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:40 am 

Hi,

I need your help to cope with a new problem in my laptop, an HP Pavilion dv9000, running windows 7 ultimate for several months without troubles.

The first symptom is the LCD, it is completely black, no characters nor images appear on it.
I've attached an external screen through the VGA connector and try to restart windows 7.

At startup I get a BSOD with "STOP 0x00000116", the module involved is nvlddmkm.sys.

Started again in safe mode I managed to reinstall the display driver several times, from microsoft and the one a considered the right one from NVIDIA for the Geforce Go 7600.

But the problem persist, same symptoms.

Also, I have tried to startup an UBUNTU as well as a Knoppix system. Same problems.

I am trying to find if it is a hardware fail or a software one, but I do not know how to reach to a conclusion.

Thanks very much in advance.
Luis.

Post subject: Re: HP Pavilion dv9000 nvidia problem
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:16 am 
Site Admin

If the internal LCD display is completely dark but an external display works properly, then that suggests that either the backlight or the display itself has failed. You didn't include a link to the system specs so I don't know whether it has a CCFL or LED backlight, but if it is the former then the inverter that powers the CCFL may be the actual failure. That would be good, since inverters are relatively inexpensive and easy to replace.

As for the system failing when loading the video driver, that suggests other problems. If it fails in the same manner whether booting from the existing OS as well as a known-good bootable OS on another drive, then that suggests that either the memory or the graphics chip on the motherboard may be failing. In that case I would first try replacing the existing memory modules with a known-good spare. Let me know what you find, Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware