Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: IBM Trackpoint Video
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:00 am 

Spotted this on Reddit, and thought worthy of a mention here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4Ss6F1qIHU

Post subject: Re: IBM Trackpoint Video
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:58 am 
Site Admin

Interesting video, thanks for posting. I actually met Ted Selker (one of the inventors, shown in the video using the device) and got to test one of the prototype TrackPoint keyboards right around the time that video was made. I had never seen or heard of anything like it before, and within just a minute or two of trying it out I felt as if I was making the pointer move by pure thought. It was a revelation, but unfortunately it was a prototype and at the time he said there were no plans for future production. A year or so later the first ThinkPad with a TrackPoint debuted, and I knew I had to have one. I have been a dedicated TrackPoint (and ThinkPad) user ever since.

Especially for laptops it is simply the ultimate pointing device. You can be so much faster and more precise with a TrackPoint as compared to a touchpad that it isn't even close. A mouse is inconvenient on a laptop, and one can easily outperform a mouse with a TrackPoint when typing/data entry and not pure pointing is involved. I have convinced many reluctant users to try a TrackPoint since they first came out and literally everybody (even skeptics) that I have convinced to just give it a try have seen the light and become addicted to how well they work. I won't buy a laptop without a TrackPoint, and I use a TrackPoint keyboard on desktop systems as well. Scott.

PS: I moved this to the laptop section as I think it is more appropriate there.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware