Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: Rebuilding Laptops Upgrading Grapics Cards
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:36 am 

Not really a question.

Scott or Mike I know you made comments it CPU, Ram, Hard drive can be upgraded in laptops I am starting to see Dedicated graphic cards are being upgraded in older laptops as well. Even going beyond when the laptop was brand new. With little or no issues.

Let take the Laptop I have. Alienware M17x R2 When New started out with dual Ati 4870's and now has dual ati 5870's

Now I can upgrade my graphics cards from Mxm, ebay or Clevo and buy Dual ati 6970, 6990 or Single ati 7970.

But with people who own alienware M17x R2. Started trying out the dual ati 6970 or 6990 http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienwa ... firex.html and now Single Ati 7970 (Due to Power issues It only will supports 1 gpu) http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienwa ... hotos.html.

I am not just focusing on Alienware laptops. Other laptops are Clevo/Sugar and Acer.

I do see some issues with some laptop like Hdmi with sound or audio issues. But the Normal laptop monitor and sound works. Other issues are 4870m and 5870m have different bracket shape and are NOT compatibile with the 6970m or 7970m. You have to ask the seller to provide that Bracket. Or you have might have to manualy Control the fan with Software.

I do hope this continues and bring new life to older Laptops.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware