Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware

Post subject: Add missing SATA port??
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:09 pm 

Just a curious question here.

Inspiron 17R 5720 and the Inspiron 17R 7720 are very similar laptops, and have a similar motherboard. There are 2 hard drive bays. On the Inspiron 17R 5720, there is NOT an available SATA connector present on the motherboard in the empty bay, however, there ARE solder dots there where the STAT port should be.

http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshoo ... n-17r-5720

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/ ... 7r-se-7720

I've worked on both of these systems, and while the 7720 is a Special Edition, and is a bit more powerful, and it does contain the 2nd SATA port, it seems essentially the same.

Being a "tinkering" person, would one be able to add this, or, is something like this even available to do? I'm quite sure it would void any warranty one had.

Dell's "answer" is either an external hard drive, or remove the Optical Drive and use some sort of kit they have and use that port, or use the MSATA port. If one wanted to NOT lose the OD but, still have use of that 2nd hard drive slot.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Add missing SATA port??
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:02 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Being a "tinkering" person, would one be able to add this, or, is something like this even available to do?

You could certainly add the connector, but there may be BIOS or other internal configuration issues as well. If the port with the missing connector currently shows up in the Windows device manager then simply adding the connector should work. If not, then adding the connector would probably have no effect. Scott.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:42 am 

If the motherboards are identical size, then perhaps that can be swapped instead?

Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:03 pm 

David McMahon wrote:
If the motherboards are identical size, then perhaps that can be swapped instead?

They could be swapped, but, that isn't the point. <grin>

The replacement swap would be very expensive!

I'm just a curious tech! :)

Post Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:31 pm 

So does your board contain the logic for that Sata Port?

Post Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:48 pm 

I don't know.

I don't actually own this laptop, but, I often work on it, and I'm asked that question.

As a contracted tech, I have to refer customers back to Dell, but, as a curious tech, I wanted to put the question out there.....

Post Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:40 pm 

Quote:
You could certainly add the connector, but there may be BIOS or other internal configuration issues as well. If the port with the missing connector currently shows up in the Windows device manager then simply adding the connector should work. If not, then adding the connector would probably have no effect.
Assuming they have the same chipset (the first link didn't give that info) could updating the chipset drivers or BIOS "force" Windows to recognize the *physically* added SATA connection?

Would a properly installed connection cause any ill effects if the BIOS/chipset/Windows didn't recognize it?

Evan

Post Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:39 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
...could updating the chipset drivers or BIOS "force" Windows to recognize the *physically* added SATA connection?

If you wrote a custom BIOS and BIOS Setup that properly enabled the chipset feature (and soldered the physical connection on the board) then you may be able to get it to work.

Quote:
Would a properly installed connection cause any ill effects if the BIOS/chipset/Windows didn't recognize it?

If the physical connection was added without turning the chipset feature on via the BIOS, then besides the function simply not working I don't believe any other ill effects would result. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Laptop Hardware